Ground Station Hardaware - Report

Ground station hardware report

The ground station hardware referred to all hardware “things” to set up a stationary or not ground tation. Also referred to documentation in SatNOGS wiki. The repositories for that, are placed in GitLab.

1. satnogs-rotator-controller-encoder, wiki
  • Description:
    It contains source files and BOM to build rotary position encoders
    for SatNOGS rotator.
    All files are ready for release, the remaining issues are for better
    documentation.
  1. satnogs-fm-notch
  • Description:
    It contains source files for a FM notch filter. Also contains
    a simulation in QUCS and a report from mini VNA.
    All files are ready for release, the remaining issues are for
    better documentation. The filter is tested also with rtl-sdr.
    It is better to re design the board in order to placed in
    a shielded box, like this.
  1. satnogs-diplexer
  • Description:
    It contains source files for a diplexer in VHF and UHF (only for
    RX). Also contains a simulation in QUCS and a report from mini VNA.
    better documentation. The 2 filters are tested also with rtl-sdr.
  • Related projects:
    @ar3itrary also develop a VHF/UHF diplexer with bias-t, for more details and in repository.
    Other interesting community posts:
  1. satnogs-rotator-firmware
  • Description: It contains the firmware for different set-up of SatNOGS rotator. Also contains doxygen-files and documentation.
    The master branch is working with stepper motors without encoders
    and DC motors with encoders. Some of remaining issues are critical
    like #21, others add functionality and makes more optimal and robust the rotator system.
    The master branch runs with all SatNOGS rotator controller if the user change the rotator_pins.h. Also the master brunch contains the firmware for the latest release of rotator controller.
  1. satnogs-rotator-controller, wiki page
  • Description: It contains source files and BOM to build the motor driver of SatNOGS rotator.
  • Status: The latest release is v2.2. The remaining issues are not so critical. For example #39 resolve a problem with arduino pro-mini clones (chinisium), (take a look in wiki). Most of the issues are referred for better documentation. I think it is a good point to build a new version that supports different rotators like yaesu G5500 (AC motors) and SPID, BIG-RAS (high power DC motor), that is low cost ~100E, and other specification that it’s under discussion.
  1. satnogs-rotator, wiki page
  1. satnogs-hardware-misc

To be continued with repositories:

Now it is time to open a discussion about priorities for GS hardware development, according to SatNOGS goals.

7 Likes

I am working on some of my own hardware using a corner reflector for the antenna and a simple Azimuth rotor.

I plan on documenting all parts of the build to share it with the community. (I plan on using a simple python script that will let the rotor be controlled directly by the PI.)

1 Like

@Azisi the DC version is amazing! Congrats! Very smooth and accurate. Station 9 is currently down for some issues regarding an issue with the reception. I am experimenting with a 9 stage HPF right now to reduce the noise at the VHF.

3 Likes

A bit more info on the g5500-ardushield:

1. g5500-ardushield, wiki
  • Description:
    It contains source files and documentation to build an interface between SatNOGS client and G5500 Yaesu AZ/EL rotator.
    better documentation. We think, that is better to develop or
    add an extension in satnogs controller to make compatible with
    G5500 yaesu rotator, because the electronics controller it uses
    relays that after a lot observations has problems.
2 Likes

In my opinion the scheme contains errors. Inductors are marked in nF.
nf

Are there any open issues about these errors?

I see no open issues. But I found the original schematic. Thus, this schematic is sloppy transferred into this project.

Notch-Filter-FM-88-108-by-F1JKY-schema

I suggest that you open one. Or even fix it yourself, if you have KiCad experience, and open a merge request.