New users welcome

hii, my name is sergio, im student together with pamela in Caldas University!
im very excited to be here.

2 Likes

Hey, Sergio,

This is Nikoletta.

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hello! My name is Sergio Bernabeu, I am currently in Stockholm, Sweden, working on a CubeSat project at KTH, the Royal Institute of Technology. I am using SatNGOS to test our new ground station (2047), but I used to manage the one at my former university (531).

4 Likes

Hi @ssbp and welcome!

About your cubesat project, if you want to integrate it with SatNOGS I suggest you read this guide. Feel free to join the rest communication channels, more details in this wiki page.

2 Likes

Hi!

Iā€™m Alex UT4FJ from Odessa, Black Sea coast. Being a noob in Linux, Iā€™m spent few days (instead of couple of hours when you know what to do) to set up a station based on Orange Pi4 (armbian buster) + RTL-SDR V3 + simple 4 el. Yagi VHF fixed on my balcony. Now the satnogs client, auto sheduler and monitor does work properly and today I got the very first decode. Iā€™m still waiting for motors and other parts for home made rotator based on K3NG controller, but it can be a problem to place it on a top of townhouse. Anyway, I have some plans to improve my antennas in future.

Unfortunately, Iā€™m useless as software developer, but thank you for a very interesting project.

2 Likes

Hi, Alex.

This is Nikoletta.
Welcome to the community and thank you for joining. If you find it difficult to find your way around building a SatNOGS station or if you have any questions feel free to ask the community. You can also join the SatNOGS Chat on element/matrix: https://app.element.io/#/room/#satnogs:matrix.org and post your questions there too.

Best,

Nikoletta

1 Like

Hello, my name is Lahfa Samy, I am currently in France, an undergraduate in Computer Science looking to contribute to making open source space software, itā€™s such a good idea that a community around this idea already exists, I wonder will open-source spaceships be a thing in the future where we can just tweak about every software/firmware, Iā€™m very excited to see what will this community bring about !

1 Like

Hi @akechishiro, welcome to the Community. It is great to have you here.

If you wish you can also join the LSF chat channel on Element/Matrix and you can introduce yourself there as well.

You can also take a look at the GitLab repositories of LSF. Do keep in mind though, that if you find something you would like to contribute to, before embarking on working on the issue, you need to inform the developer of the project by adding a comment on that issue.

Donā€™t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or you need any clarifications,

Nikoletta

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Ayush Mehta, a second year undergraduate Chemical Engineering student at BITS Pilani. I am currently a part ofI am part of my university student satellite team developing a 3U imaging CubeSat for earth exploration. I am working under Attitude Determination and Control Subsystem (ADCS) on developing our satelliteā€™s navigational system. I have developed orbit propagator and currently developing GPS based orbit-determination. I have worked with C, C++, Python, JavaScript, MATLAB, Simulink, HTML, CSS, Node.js and Express.js, MongoDB, SQLite, terminal scripting, Git and Github, General Mission Analysis Tool (NASA), System Tools Kit (Analytical Graphics Inc). I have also developed a Python GUI based Sudoku solver, replica of Google Maps using Googleā€™s API and many small-small projects, I am also competitive coding enthusiast, you can check my GitHub profile at ā€œayush-mehtaā€. It would be great if the community could guide me further with this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, Iā€™m Michał Drzał from Poland, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, currently working in the field of optical satellite observations but since I have some space around the house Iā€™d like to give radio a try and Iā€™m looking for contact with other polish enthusiasts for help with setting up something simple for hunting LEOs :slight_smile: I have quite a lot of experience with Raspberry Pi and Iā€™m a programmer by trade (.NET, Python, Javascript).

3 Likes

Hi @michal.drzal and welcome to the community!

For buidling a station I suggest you check the wiki.satnogs.org, you can start here. With your experience it shouldnā€™t take a lot of time to setup the station if you have the necessary hardware.

By the way if you see spot anything not clear or wrong in the wiki, let us know or even better edit it and fix it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Michalis Raptakis.

I live in Heraklion, Greece and Iā€™m a student at Computer Science Department in University of Crete. Through the Google Summer of Code 2021, I will be a part of SatNOGS team and my main project will be to improve the TX capabilities of the SatNOGS.
I am excited for this summer!

5 Likes

Hey @mraptakis,

Welcome on board!

3 Likes

Good day everyone,
I am Ash Noor, I am in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
Iā€™m not sure how, but I some how came across this lovely foundation, and from reading through it, and seeing some of the cool projects everyone is working on, it has inspired me to stop being just a Observer, and become a Contributor.

Iā€™m a blogger, a new penetration tester (Cyber Security / Info Sec), and I code a bit in Python.
I really writing tools/programs that are helpful. My current passion project is working on a Nubian Dictionary. I was able to digitize one, and now Iā€™m working on a little program that would help recognize that ancient language, and display it on the screen.

Iā€™ve been a lover of space for a while, but only as an observer, and even though I know movies arenā€™t an actual depiction of things, I do find them inspirational. One of my favorite is ā€œContactā€, and I recently just saw an indie British film called ā€œCosmosā€ which was about 3 astronomer friends that go hunting for signals, and things get interesting.

All that to say, I am very happy to be here, and I hope I can contribute in any way.
Thank you in advance for being a place for a space enthusiast like myself to be able to join.

Be safe out there.
See you in the forums.

-Ash

6 Likes

Hey @ashnoor, welcome!

Feel free to post your ideas and contribute to the discussions here, in the community forum.

If you wish you can also join the LSF chat channel on Element/Matrix and you can introduce yourself there as well.

Donā€™t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or you need any clarifications,

Nikoletta

2 Likes

Thank you kindly @Nikoletta I appreciate the welcome, I will make sure to join the LSF Chat Channel for sure in the near future! :slight_smile:

Have a lovely rest of your week.
-Ash

2 Likes

Hi everyone, great to meet you all.

My name is Nye Thompson, Iā€™m an international artist based in London and my artwork explores our relationships with new technologies. Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about satellites and power recently as part of my latest art projects, and Iā€™m really interested in ways that people like myself without an engineering background can engage more directly with satellite activity.

Iā€™m hoping to build a ground station this summer, as part of an artist residency & art exhibition in Craiova, Romania. I have some experience with Raspberry Pi, although not with RF - so any additional support from the community will be much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting involved in this amazing project.

Nye

nyethompson.net

5 Likes

Hi @newyearseve, welcome!

The best source for info is our wiki, and of course if something is not clear you can create threads here with your questions.

There were some art/museum projects that you can check for ideas, for example check this one or this one.

PS note to myselfā€¦ it would be nice to have a page in wiki for documenting such installationsā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind welcome @fredy!
And thanks also for the links to the art/museum projects - look forward to checking them out. Yeah an art installation page on the wiki would be great, hope to be able to contribute something to it soon.

Have a great week ā€“

Nye

4 Likes

Your work looks rad, canā€™t wait to see your project.

1 Like