New users welcome

Hi everyone!

I’m George, and I’m from South East UK. I graduated in space engineering a year ago, and now I work as an ASIC technician.

I want to be part of the exploration of space however I can! All searches seem to point toward you guys as having the best open source space projects that I could contribute to.

I’ll help in any way possible, but my main strengths are programming (Python, C++, Labview), maths, and orbital mechanics. I’m not sure where to start - which projects need contributors, and is there anything simple I could start with to get my head round things?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Nice to hear from you George. Welcome. You said the Magical words. “programming Python, C++”. I’m not a programmer but from what I have observed lots of ham radio software seems to be written in Python and or C++
73 Bob vk2byf

2 Likes

Hi all!

I’m Norbert, DL8LAQ, from the southern part of Schleswig-Holstein, closed to the city of Hamburg. My profession is radio repair (since 1988 radio equipment, and since 2000 avionics, navigation and surveillance equipment).

I love to listen to radio waves in every possible way using modern SDR equipment and also old analog radios.

Have fun! 73, Norbert

2 Likes

Hello @Mecatronico26, welcome to LSF Community.

3 Likes

Hi @mouhamadou. Welcome onboard the LSF community!
This sounds like a very interesting project you have there.
Hope you find the LSF projects fascinating and they can help you enhance your knowledge.

2 Likes

My Name is Pablo Soligo. I’m working as teacher, researcher and software developer.
I am impressed with the satnots project and libre space community. We are working in software develop related with space, we integrate our multimission ground segment prototype software with NASA OPEN MCT. We use satnogs raw data. This is the result:

https://ugs.unlam.edu.ar/#/browse/mine/demodash

You can create your own dashboard, we are going to add new satellites soon…I think It could be a good alternative to grafana.
If you are interested in a particular satellite available, with a little help we could add it.
just a little video to explain UGS and open mct :

Best regards and congratulation for the fantastic community!

4 Likes

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Please respect the data license and attribute them back to SatNOGS. More details here: SatNOGS DB - About

4 Likes

Thanks pierros, “Please respect the data license and attribute them back to SatNOGS.” yes of course, we put it in “about” we are going to explain it in main dashboard too. We hope to have our own station to add our data soon.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Shayan Majumder, and currently, I am a sophomore pursuing Electrical Engineering from the Birla Institute of Science and Technology, Pilani, India. I am interested in working for ground stations and satellite communication links. I have a working knowledge of C++, C, and Python. I have also laid my hands on GNU radio and hope to work on USRP once my campus reopens. I also plan to opt for a Ham license once the pandemic situation is over :).
Since I have some experience working with CCSDS protocols and working with GNU radio, I would like to contribute something to the GR-Satnogs module. I would also like to work on projects related to CCSDS protocols.

73 Folks!

5 Likes

Hello all,

I am Prateek, and I am from India. I am a computer science student with a great interest in space technologies. I have fair bit of experience in programming languages like C, C++, Java, Python, R, and also in developing stuff.
Looking forward to join this community, and learn and grow with it.

2 Likes

Hi @prateek1912 and welcome!

In https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation you can find all the projects that LSF runs. If you find any project interesting, check its issues and try to work on one of them.

In some of the projects there are labeled issues as Easyfix which are good candidates to introduce you to the project.

Before starting with an issue let the developers of the project know by adding a comment in the issue you are trying to fix.

2 Likes

Greetings to the LSF Community!

This is Aditya, from India. I’m an undergraduate student currently majoring in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering.

I learnt about the LSF when I started working on opensource projects. Since my childhood, I am curious about exploring Space and the technologies used to study it. And I love opensource projects. So, Opensource and Space led me towards the Libre Space Foundation!

I work on projects related to Machine Learning and Computer Vision. I love Python and I am interested in working on optimizing Space Technologies using Computational Intelligence.

I hope to learn new things, share a few, contribute to the organization and follow along.
Great to be a part of this wonderful community of Space enthusiasts.

2 Likes

Hey @aditya_gandhamal! Welcome!
There are many interesting projects running and many ways to contribute. In fact, there is a project about Machine Learning for Satellites.
However, I suggest you join the main LSF chat channel, introduce yourself and state your interest there as well. The people there will suggest possible projects you can join and you can contribute to.

You can also have a look at the LSF GitLab repositories and see if there is a project that you might be interested in contributing. I would suggest though, that before you start contributing to one of the projects and working on an issue, do inform the developers of the projects by adding a comment on the issue you have begun working on.

2 Likes

Thank you @Nikoletta for the information. I will definitely check it out.

2 Likes

Hey all! I’m Birudeghi, based in the UK. I’ve recently completed my undergraduate study in materials science at University of Oxford, and currently a software developer.

I was finding active CubeSat online community when I stumbled upon LSF! I’ve recently been interested in small satellite technologies and its recent hardware and software developments. Hopefully through LSF I can find interesting projects to work on on both hardware and software, and even get to build CubeSats with people!

I can bring my materials science knowledge to bear, but I’m also down for some coding in Python and Java. I’ve also done a small project in ML audio classification problems.

If anyone is interested in any of the above, please get in touch!

2 Likes

Hola! I’m Alejandro, a software engineer in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Was born in Colombia and absolute loved space since an early age but unfortunately didn’t find many opportunities to explore it there. I hope to change that one day.
Currently I develop cloud applications in AWS and looking forward to doing all sorts of cool stuff with the telemetry I hope to get from building a ground station.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, excited to be part of this community, and open to suggestions as to things I could contribute with my dev skills. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hey Alejandro! Welcome to the community!

If you wish you can also join the LSF chat channel on Element and you can introduce yourself there as well.

You can also have a look at the GitLab repositories of LSF. Note though, that if you find something you would like to contribute to, before embarking on working on the issue, you need to inform the developer of the project by adding a comment on that issue.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions,

Nikoletta

2 Likes

Welcome, Alejandro! I’m frequently in Lancaster County for work (Leola). I’ve been known to pull over on the side of the road and make some FM sat contacts surrounded by cows and buggies!

–Roy
K3RLD

2 Likes

Hello
my name is Pamela, I`m a student from Caldas University in Colombia, so happy to be a part of this community, I hope to increase my knowledge and share my knowledge.

3 Likes

Hey Pamela,

This is Nikoletta :slight_smile: Welcome!

2 Likes