New users welcome

Hi there,

I’m Nicola from Italy.
Happy to be a part of this community, hope to increase my knowledge in radio communications and share thoughts and projects.

IU1LJA

3 Likes

Welcome @nikoproxy

There is a lot of information available, especially on the wiki. Please ask if you get stuck or need some information. No question is wrong :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @g7kse,
it’s a great way to start, I’ll get into it!

Hello everyone !!
i am Vaibhav ,undergraduate student in information technology from India . I love programming and space . I have experience of programming in C/C++ , Python and java . i have done several projects in machine learning and deep learning ( CNN ). I am looking forward to learn something and to contribute to LibreSpace.

4 Likes

Welcome Vaibhav! :slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from New users welcome:

Hai, saya Herry dari Indonesia
saya mau belajar dan berusaha untuk stasiun kecil saya

terimakasih

2 Likes

Hi @herdoth,

Welcome!

Please use english in your next posts so we can understand you better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone!!
I am Akhil, an undergraduate student from India.
I am a space enthusiast and also love programming. I am looking forward to contribute to LibreSpace in whatever way I can. I have programming experience in C, Python, java, and R. I would like to increase my knowledge while contributing to various projects.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
I am Amandine (ON4EYA), from Belgium. I am a research engineer at the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, where we developed a reentry CubeSat named QARMAN. Before that, I was working on QB50 project, so we might know each other from then.

QARMAN will soon be deployed in orbit, so I am seeking for collaborations and support to receive the telemetry beacon. I also hope to turn our ground station into a SatNOGS one.

4 Likes

Hey @amandine_on4eya ! Nice to see you here :slight_smile: QB50 brings good memories for us that it was our first experience building a mission (UPSat in our case).

I can see you already opened a thread for QARMAN, and we will continue the discussion there. Looking forward to see your station on the network too! Let us know if there is anything we can help with.

5 Likes

I am happy to collaborate, feel free to write me email jsathiskumar@gmail.com

2 Likes

Hi. New User, Tom from Silicon Valley, California.
Interested in “things unseen” or un-noticed, like airplanes, nature, satellites.
I’ve written Android apps for bicycling navigation, augmented-reality apps for viewing satellite constellation or local aircraft activity. :artificial_satellite:website https://www.cyclebikeapp.com
Built ADSB receiver feeding to FlightAware and OpenSky Network
Now building antenna to observe satellite passes. This looks like an active community and I hope to learn and share.

7 Likes

Hi folks, my name is John and I’m looking to get back into ham radio and this seems like it might be a good fit for my interests. Looking forward to learning more!

KC5WNM

5 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am Jayant Bhakar, a lover of space science. I was glad seeing this project and would love to contribute the best I can.

6 Likes

Hi

I am Graham G4NMD and just getting into rpi and satellites. Finding it a steep learning curve and trying to work out why my rpi and satnogs only briefly shows up on the dashboard and then reverts to setup mode.

2 Likes

Hey @driscollta @g4nmd @jayant @johnedens @sathisbdst welcome to the community. Do look in on the riot/IRC groups as well.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Mir H. S. Quadri and I am a new member of the Libre Space community. I am a software engineer, currently in the process of getting a master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence. I came across the Libre Space Foundation as I was scrolling through the GSoC 2019 archives. I found the mission and the projects of this organisation very compelling and instantly wanted to contribute. Space research has always been extremely fascinating to me and I am super excited to get started here.

I had some project proposals in mind for GSoC 2020 and wanted to know if Libre Space is planning to participate in GSoC 2020? Can someone please confirm this for me?

Much Thanks!

2 Likes

So, we do plan on participating in this year’s GSoC and applied to do so. As soon as we get news about the status of our application we will be updating the relevant forum post.

Here is a primer on participating on GSoC 2020 with Libre Space Foundation.

All are welcome to dive in our source code, this community forum and our chat-rooms to get a feel of what we do. You don’t have to be a participant on GSoC to contribute on our source code so feel free to start right away.

4 Likes

Hej all,

finally time i introduce myself. Already heard about SatNOGS before but first really discovered it last December at SDRMaker in Payerne, Switzerland, where 2 people from SatNOGS had a stand.

Quickly set up an initial base station (#1207) in test mode with a rtl-sdr dongle and a RPi3 that was lying around with a small dual band magmount antenna. That was already enough to see some weak signals.

In the meantime i upgraded the station to

• Stanislav Palo crossed UHF dipole
  • Nooelec LaNA LNA
  • Nooelec NESDR SMArTee v2 SDR

currently the antenna is still badly placed on the balcony. Living in a 1st floor flat with balcony in a houlse with several floors it is not easy to have a decent antenna placement but i’ll try to improve it. Currently mostly West opening (with some low houses in front), should be able to get South + West opening.
The other planned improvement is to put the LNA, Tuner and Raspberry in a metal box outside on the balcony close to the antenna.

I hope with a better antenna placement i’ll be able not only to see weak signals, but also to decode some telemetry.

For the rest i am a software engineer, mostly C++, but i don’t mind doing Python so i might take some looks around some SatNOGS code when i have some time.

73s de Martin HB9FXX

6 Likes

I would be keeping the Raspberry Pi away from the antenna. They are noisy little buggers. Put it in a metal box. Some switched mode 5V power-supplies can produce a lot of noise too. USB cables radiate noise too. Clip on ferrite cores can help there. Put the LNA close to the antenna. I have been experimenting for a while and found the antenna is everything and I finally settled on a home made QFH antenna. (Google it)
73 Bob vk2byf

1 Like