New users welcome

Yes, doing QRP QRSS reception with raspberries ans rtl sdr dongles i learnt that the raspberries and the usb cables are transmitters and antennas on their own and there are definitively 50Hz intermodulations coming from cheap power supplies. So a correct power supply will also be part of the setup.
Maybe i’ll put the raspberry out of the case. But in any case it will have its own shielded metal box even if inside a bigger metal box.

Go space fans! Good luck to all ground station builders.

6 Likes

Hi all. I’m from Open Lunar Foundation. Unfortunately, we’re still in stealth, so I’m a bit limited about what I can say, but you can probably glean a bit about us from looking at our website and Googling some.

I’m also formerly the org admin for SciRuby as a GSoC participant org, and I’ve mentored GSoC for multiple years.

OLF applied but didn’t get into GSoC this year. We have a bunch of projects and mentors, however, and I wondered if we might join forces with Libre Space for some of these. It seems like we have a lot in common.

Anyway, hi! And glad to be here.

—JW (they/them)

2 Likes

Pardon my stupid question, but I see a glaring conflict with your opening statement. I went to Open Lunar Foundation and can find no information. Is this an “open” foundation?

2 Likes

We’re a 501c(3) public charity. I’m not quite sure I understand the conflict.

If OLF is an “open” foundation, why can you not tell us of the work you are doing?

2 Likes

Hi @autumnsault

you can an add idea for GSOC 2020 of LSF with opening a new issue here. Please in the new issue choose the “Idea” template.

In the issue tracker there are some old and new ideas, and especially for GSOC 2020 there are some more info in this link.

cc’ing @elkos just in case he wants to add anything more.

2 Likes

@autumnsault Hi JW, welcome, don’t hesitate to share the projects you work and their repositories

I do think that @K3RLD 's point is that it would be extra helpful for the open-source community if OLF had more info about their projects, links to repositories, and bylaws available.
There are several ways people describe openness in a technological context. I would say that the minimum would be that the software created would be compliant with Open Source Initiative’s Open Source Definition and open-hardware (the TAPR and CERN OHL are pretty good examples on that).
To further elaborate on openness, I believe the Libre Space Manifesto would be a sound basis for any open space technologies organization to undersign.

As for GSoC, as @fredy said, the process described here would allow the community to discuss the further technical details of each idea.

3 Likes

We are compliant with OSI’s open source definition. I will investigate about the open-hardware standards (I’m not a hardware person), and where our bylaws can be obtained.

We do have a github: http://github.com/openlunar/

We also have our own ideas page here: https://github.com/openlunar/gsoc/wiki/GSoC-ideas

I’ll start working on getting these into your process. Things are a bit delayed here in SF due to COVID-19.

4 Likes

I can recommend the article “On Creative Commons and Open Source” by the Open Source Hardware Alliance (OSHWA).

edit: The following section handles about the OpenLuna Foundation, Inc. (A) not Open Lunar Foundation (B).
It also explains why the license under which you published your latest blog post, where you wrote:
~~> please respect our Open Source Creative Commons license. That is one of our founding principles: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/~~

, is not OSI-compliant.

CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0, your “founding principles” (according to the blog post), is not OSI-compliant. It directly breaks with the 6th OSD-criterion:

1. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
    The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

I’m very happy to see that the four projects with OpenLunar copyright in your github org, openlunar/trajectory (BSD-3-Clause), openlunar/orbdet (Apache-2.0), openlunar/nav (BSD-3-Clause) and openlunar/lincov (BSD-3-Clause), are published under OSI-compliant licenses though.

Welcome, and thanks for reaching out! :full_moon: :rocket: :tada:

4 Likes

Ah, thanks so much for bringing this up, and for the feedback. I’ll take this back to the team and discuss it with them.

I’m not actually seeing this anywhere on our website. Are you sure you aren’t looking at OpenLuna instead?

Yes, I apologize. I confused the OpenLuna Foundation, Inc. (http://openluna.org) with your Open Lunar Foundation (https://openlunar.org).

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Sotiris a Master’s student, studying Signal and Image processing at the Aix-Marseille University, in Marseille, France. I completed GSOC last year an Greek FOSS project and I am interested in submitting a proposal for this year’s program under LSF. After browsing and examining the project ideas, I decided to start preparing my proposal for the project “Python module for satellite RF collisions”.

For the time being; I am studying the satNOGS network repository and the basics of satellite orbits and RF collisions, preparing my proposal, based on the LSF template. I would like to ask you however for any additional resources that you guys might have in mind. For example, is there a specific paper or article that I should read, is there any other software (open-source or not) that tackles this problem already? I would be interested in reading the documentation.

Furthermore, can we contact the potential mentor through e-mail? Do we post our proposals on separate threads for feedback?

Thanks everybody, stay safe!!

@fredy

2 Likes

Hi @sotpap, welcome to community!

In case you missed it, check the related with the GSoC project issue. There you will find details and answers to questions and how you can contact me.

2 Likes

import new_user

Hello, I am new to LSF without any contribution yet, but intend to participate as much as possible. Currently learning Java and Python and aiming to undertake courses into robotics and machine learning. I have no LSF - related background (Bsc and work experience in shipping…)

2 Likes

I’m new to LSF but not to the space and radio community.

Just bringing up first SatNOGS node with UHF quadrifilar antenna with pre-amp. Thinking about how to build tracking mount for circularly polarized dual Yagi for uplink.

Put my own TubeSat in LEO from ISS in 2017 with 35 cm LoRa under FCC Experimental License. Got a few packets even with a bad sat antenna. Ground station was 16 dBi helix mounted on tracking telescope mount feeding LoRa/Arduino RX.

Long time high power rocket enthusiast - Tripoli and NAR Level 3, TAP, and led the successful AeroPac team to be first fully documented open source fully recovered amateur flight north of 100k’ AGL in 2012. Co-leads the ARLISS project (www.arliss.org) - A Rocket Launch for International Student Satellites - founded by Bob Twiggs - inventor of CanSats and CubeSats. For 20 years we have been flying international student satellites on sounding rockets in the Black Rock Desert.

Passionately interested in rockets and satellites for STEM - particularly now PocketQubes and LoRa for both rocket and satellite telemetry.

2 Likes

Hi @vagelis and @kenbiba welcome to the community!

Hello Everyone! My name is Osama. I’m pursuing my bachelor’s degree in CS from University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan. I intend to apply in this year’s Google Summer of Code. While doing some research I got interested in your organization. I wanted to know if it is possible to work on new ideas rather than the projects already available. I also want to know where I can discuss topics related to GSOC’20 on your community. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @osama, welcome to the community!

For GSoC, you can submit a proposal with your own idea in GSoC site. If you want to discuss it further, you can open an issue at https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/soc-org/-/issues were all the ideas for GSoC and similar activities are documented by students and mentors.