New users welcome

Hi all,

I’m Sathiskumar with PhD in Space Rocket launcher materials Science & Engineering related to mathematical model& experiments, etc and from London,UK right now.
Libre Space is a great community and I would love to help out where I can. Thanks for such a wonderful project.

some of my skills:

• Mathematical Model, AI, Machine Learning, Deep learning, Big Data, Data Science
  • Aerospace : Design Rockets, space launchers, NVH, FEM & FEA, CFD, structural, thermal, diffusion, thermo-mechanical, etc…,
  • Material Science and Engineering : New material & alloy development, material testing, 3D printing, design & develop materials for various environments
  • Mechanical engineering , Electro-Magnetic, etc.
  • Mathematical model development etc.
  • Python, R, Hive, Hadoop, Spark, C, C++, Matlab, ABAQUS, ANSYS, etc.
  • State-space controls
  • Cloud technology (AWS, CGP, Azure), IoT, Open Sources hardwares such as Aurdino, Raspberry pi. etc,

I would love to help out with anything that I can. I’ve found that helping with documentation is a great way to start understanding the scope of a project.

Sathiskumar Jothi

6 Likes

We might work together … I am a PhD student developing control laws for multi agent spacecraft systems.

I am trying to go further by developing CubeSats for this.

Ahemd

4 Likes

Welcome both of you. Hope you get some use out of SatNOGS and the community. If you get stuck then just ask otherwise the wiki can help out a lot

Alex

3 Likes

Hello folks!

I’m a developer with a hobbyist interest in Space Things.

I’m looking to set up a ground station in my backyard in the near future, but I don’t have a lot of experience weather proofing anything and I’m located in Ottawa, Canada where my ground station will get very cold and very snowy!

Also, I’m considering building a QFH antenna, but there are appear to be a fair number of conflicting instructions on how to actually wire it up…

VA3WTE

3 Likes

I have built several QFH antennas in fact my satnogs stations 568 and 724 use home made QFH antennas.

For us the big problem is not snow and ice but UV radiation destroying anything plastic. I have been using irrigation components for the standoffs to hold the 3mm hard drawn wire in place. I have also build hem using 1/4" copper tubing which is a better but harder to build option. I use this for transmitting. I stack the UHF QFH on top of the VFH QFH on the same High Pressure plastic pipe.

I think the confusion comes about the fact that when you feed them from the top they work in the backfire mode which reverses the circular polarization.

For satellites we want RHCP so the antenna fed at the top needs to be configured for LHCP.

We are assuming an antenna without a reflector which would reverse the polarization again.

Do some Googling for QFH antennas, you fill find all the info you need. Start here https://www.jcoppens.com/ant/qfh/calc.en.php

Go for it. Let us know how you go.
73 Bob vk2byf

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been doing some internet reading but https://www.aeronetworks.ca/2017/12/parasitic-quadrifilar-helical-antenna.html?m=1 describes a parasitic QFH with a reflector that looks radically different from all the backfire ones I’ve seen described

3 Likes

Hi there, Yohan Hadji, 15 year old, from Grenoble, France
I like flying things, drones, rc planes, satellites!
And overall I try to be a Maker !

I’m working on an All Metal, “Box mountable” Rotator (I posted something about it 5 minutes ago)

Regards
Yoyo

2 Likes

YoYo, Sometimes crazy ideas can turn into something wonderful. Building something is very rewarding. I built my first Regenerative radio receiver from a kit my dad bought for me when I was 9 years old. I’m still building thing today and now I’m 70.
Stay curious and keep exploring.
Bob vk2byf, Australia

3 Likes

Hello all!

Im Roberto from Costa Rica, my amateur radio callsign is TI2RF, now learnig about linux and Raspberry´s, my gound station is working now, right now making a fine test up. Every body is wlcome to shedule observation via TI2RF. 73

5 Likes

Hello all,

We are a team of students/faculty dedicated to installing a working ground station at Metropolitan State University in Denver, Colorado. MSU Denver is becoming a hub for aerospace students so satellite tracking capabilities are a huge deal! SatNOGS has been a huge help to us, thank you! We look forward to contributing data once we are up an running.
Ad Astera!

3 Likes

Hi @ti2rf,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to reach us here or in our chat platform if you have any questions on Linux or Raspberry Pi. Your station works fine, I would suggest to try different RF gains that may help to receive better the satellites.

4 Likes

Hi @msudenvermoc,

It’s always a pleasure to hear that SatNOGS helps people to get involved with satellites and space. This is the mission and the vision of Libre Space Foundation, make space accessible to everyone!

3 Likes

@fredy Many tnx by your welcome, rigth now testing some gain values and had a best downloads

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am happy to meet you and people with similar passion,
Congratulations on this amazing achievement.

Me, a Computer Engineer for 20 years,
Worked on many projects, mainly IoT and Home Automation, Applications including web and VR and mobile.
I like to launch my own tiny 1Lb satellite to LEO using low cost commercial satellite companies.

I have faith in humanity and Science and a unique creator of this amazing universe.
I hope to learn from you a lot.
Best

4 Likes

Welcome Bahsoun, hope you enjoy exploring the Libre Space community.

Hello,
I am HS3LIQ/Wiwat from Thailand, interested in amateur radio, satellite and digital. The mode around the station may be very disturbing. Make observation from the image Or incomplete audio Due to being in a crowded communication area but I will try to improve the station To continue to receive better satellite signals. Thank you. :smile:

4 Likes

Hi,

I have a pi4 and rtl with HF dipole ready and connected to the network!

I work for a small aerospace co and we have a bidirectional ground station on our roof for downloads and command control of Astro Digital satellites, which fly our flight software. The antenna is I believe a dual yagi rotator that tracks in two axis. Images are passed on to NOAA and other customers; the IR camera has been particularly helpful for firefighters in California, since it can see through some smoke; images help them determine vegetation potential fire load (how much fuel is on the ground at that moment).

I am primarily a software and systems engineer and build various apps and sim and emulators. With my colleagues I am making and delivering four emulators to ULA for their Orion / SLS missions in support of Artemis 2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_2#/media/File:Artemis_2_Trajectory.jpg

But I am new to RF and learning much with SatNOGS!

The setup was not too difficult. If all goes well I hope to help some school students run a ground station. Thanks to libre and all of you here for your contributions and kindness!

4 Likes

Welcome @hs3liq and @dru2. Hopefully you’ll find everything you need to get yourselves on the network and making observations. There is a wiki and a riot /irc channel as well as this forum if you have any questions .

Alex

3 Likes

Hiya,

I’m Jeff Moe from Colorado, USA. I’m a free software sysadmin and have done various open source hardware projects. I’m 100% new to satellites and amateur radio. I set up a couple of ground stations.

Happy hacking,

-Jeff

3 Likes

Hi @jebba ,

Welcome and thanks for the messages; I hope your rotator build and the board soldering goes well!

I am maybe 40 or 50 miles south of you; I was surprised at the amount of differences we get for overhead passes of the same spacecraft. Having more ground stations is especially useful for LEO.

Drew

3 Likes