New users welcome

Hi @martinbowman,

Welcome to the community!

For the hamradio part, I suggest you try to build a station. For the development part, take a look at our gitlab repositories.

As projects getting more complicated, don’t hesitate to ask any question you might have. Here are all the ways to contact the community.

fredy

1 Like

Excellent to see people here due to the Hackspace article! Thanks for reading and getting involved.

3 Likes

That’s also how I landed here :wink:
I knew the project from before but totally forgot about it until I read the Hackspace magazine which rekindled my interrest

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m Jon in Wales. I just found out about the project from an article in Hackspace magazine and had to get involved as I love space and I love making things. I have already ordered a Pi and some of the other bits and am looking forward to getting started.

5 Likes

Hello,
I’m Kevin Palivec from north central Texas. I found satnogs while researching how to set up a home cubesat receiver. Satnogs lets me do that and more while providing a service! I’m happy to be here!

4 Likes

Prynhawn da Jon bach! Jo here who wrote the article… look forward to seeing another Wales station come online! :slight_smile:

Hi Kevin, welcome aboard! Do feel free to ask questions. :slight_smile:

Ben from Southern California. Was aware of SatNOGS since the Hackaday competition but thought that you HAD to have a rotator. Once I found out (via the wiki) that a stationary antenna was Okay for a ground station, I was all in.

5 Likes

Hi
Max ZL2MST here in Nz also , new to ham radio, sdr and sat stuff, good to see another NZ callsign on here

Max

2 Likes

Hey @thebaldgeek - welcome to SatNOGS! I hadn’t seen that wiki page before…thanks for the pointer.

2 Likes

John Paulo from Portugal. Got my pi 2 with satnogs up and running yesterday. Been playing around with RTL-SDR for awhile. Will be contributing to this awesome project. I think i’m the second base here. Gas here is expensive, so i stay home on the weekend. LOL

3 Likes

@lusosec Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing your contributions.

1 Like

Hello Libre Space Community,

My name is Michael Bretti. For those of you who don’t know me here, I am working on open-source, ultra-low cost advanced electric propulsion for CubeSats and PocketQubes, with a specific emphasis on miniaturization for down to 1P PocketQube-class satellites. I am currently specializing in the development of micro-PPTs for these types of satellites. This may be one of the first and possibly only official independent, home-based R&D efforts into this area for the community. This research is recorded and documented through my efforts at Applied Ion Systems (website, Twitter, and Instagram), where I have been publishing a massive amount of documentation on my open-source propulsion work so far.

Currently I have a high vacuum system optimized for pumping speed capable of operational levels in the 10^-6 Torr range. So far I have completed three prototype thruster builds, however only the most recent build, the AIS-gPPT2-1C thruster, has passed high vacuum ignition testing. I have also recently completed the first successful impulse bit measurements of this thruster, and am working on the next generation model to improve performance and integrate electronics for a more complete, deployable solution. This thruster is part of an unconventional, low-profile, sub-Joule micro-PPT line of thrusters I’ve named the gPPT series, or Gridded Pulsed Plasma Thruster series, specifically designed for scaling for PocketQubes.

I hope to work with the open-source space community and others here, and help pioneer this area of propulsion and a new level of accessibility to propulsion for the community.

7 Likes

Hi,

I’m Lucas Stauder from Germany,
I set up my Station a week ago, using an RTL-SDR, Raspi 3 and an 5$ selfmade antenna: this model for testing. Going to upgrade it in a few days

2 Likes

Michael, Fantastic to see you register here, If people haven’t checked out Michaels work it’s fabulous to watch on twitter etc! Look foward to seeing more micro PPT tests and hopefully integration into some open source Pocketqube projects!

2 Likes

Hey Lucas, welcome to the forum… that’s a fine start you have made! Hope you get some good observations.

1 Like

Hi all, I am Mua Laurent, a Cameroonian studying Computer Engineering at the University of Buea where i major in Software Engineering. I have been around open source for quite some time now and i am fascinated about technology like the ones offered by this community. I have a decent knowledge in python, android and web technologies (HTML5, CSS, PHP, JS). Also i have worked with popular frameworks like django, nodejs and laravel. I hope to be of use here and look forth to contributing. Can i have some pointers? Thanks

4 Likes

Hi @muarachmann

Welcome to SatNOGS!

The repositories of the several projects that are parts of SatNOGS are in our gitlab.

The closest projects to your knowledge (Web, django and python) are:

On the repo above you will find issues, some of them good to start with the code base and the procedures we follow. Check also CONTRIBUTING and README files.

If you have any question let us know!

1 Like

Thanks @fredy looking forward to contributing, i feel very much welcomed already :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So many new users! It has been neat to see the community grow so much. Especially that there are now users who first posted a “hello” here and are now welcoming and helping other new-er folk.

If you are new and haven’t had a question answered, you can also try the Matrix / IRC chat channel:

https://wiki.satnogs.org/Get_In_Touch

As a real-time medium and a global project, you have a good chance of connecting with someone who is awake and available.

8 Likes