New users welcome

The chat is not invite only but you have to be registered to nickserv!

2 Likes

thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

Hello, Nick here.
Novice/amateur electronics enthusiast and hopefully soon a student in electrical engineering. Found out about the SatNOGS project a few months ago, ordered the dongle and the cheapest antenna I could find, getting around to setting up the listening post soon.

2 Likes

Welcome!

The best and quickest way to start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep yep! First thought being to see how to get the station hardware to a somewhat functional level (the wiki is extremely helpful in this regard) and later on improving on the antenna configuration properly.

Thus far, great success! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey there!

Iā€™m an electronics technician and undergraduate Physics student at the Technical University of Berlin. I have a solid background in micro-controllers and communication (IoT), which goes along with a proficiency in C/C++. I would be very much happy to contribute to the Space Packet project during GSoC 2019 as it aligns with my core programming skills and because this project combines my two main interests, space and technology.

Gabriel Schƶninger

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

My Name is Brandon Escamilla, I am currently studying the last year of Aerospace Engineering at Universidad Marista de Guadalajara, I really like Astrodynamics and everything about space! I am currently working as the leader of a community called Space Explorers in my city [Guadalajara, Jalisco. MĆ©xico]. About my skills, I have experience working with Python, Matlab, JS, C/C++. I would really like to contribute to this ā€œMachine Learning for cubesat awareness and diagnosticā€ since I have been working as a Data Science developer before.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello.

My name is Manuel Viqueira Moreira, Iā€™m currently writing my Bachelorā€™s Thesis in computational aeroacoustics for the degree of Aerospace Engineering in the Polytechnic University of Madrid.
My expertise is Computational Fluid Dynamics and Iā€™ve been working in new data-driven approaches to physics recently. I believe the future of science is open-source and would like to contribute in whichever project that suits my skills. I have experience with High Performance Computing, Fortran, R, Python, OpenFOAM, Ansys, Tensorflowā€¦

5 Likes

Hello,
my name is Sokratis Tzifkas and I am currently an undergraduate student, pursuing a (Bachelorā€™s and Masterā€™s degree) on Electrical and Computer Engineering.
My interests are Robotics, Control Systems, AI, Real-time Systems, Computer Architecture, Microprocessor Applications, Microprogramming Techniques, Computer Networks. I am proficient handler of C, C++, JAVA, and Python programming languages.
Currently I would like to expand my knowledge on the field of embedded systems where it meets Aerospace Engineering.

2 Likes

Hello,
My name is Venkata Rama Koundinya Lanka. I am final year undergrad student in Computer science from india. My key skills include android development, python and Machine learning. I would like to contribute to project pluto DSL in python.

1 Like

Hi everyone, My name is David DĆ­az. I am finishing a double degree in Aerospace Engineering and Elecrical Engineering in Telecommunications. In the in Electrical Engineering degree I have programmed in many lenguages as Python, C, Go, Ada, Java or Matlab to name a few I am currently working as Satellite Controller. I would like to get involved in some project.

1 Like

Welcome all, I can hardly keep up nowadays :wink:

If you fancy building a ground station then the wiki has a ton of useful information from simple non rotator designs through to implementing with commercial gear.

The wiki has a lot of info on the SatNOGS rotator if thatā€™s more up your street. It is a very interesting build and could easily be scrounged for a student project. Have a look round and see what takes your fancy.

If you need to ask a question then here is a good place or the IRC / Matrix room is well manned.

Good to have you all wanting to get going, hopefully weā€™ll be seeing ground stations all over the place and if any of you clever people want to help out with the coding then Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be gladly received on the main stuff. If anyone wants to help out a python incompetent (thatā€™s me by the way) fix a little script then Iā€™d really appreciate it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello, I am amateur radio from Nicaragua, YN1V.

I do not have formal training on electronics or computing, but I have been using Fedora Linux for the past 12 years and contributing with the Fedora Project for about 10 years. I have been collaborating with a educational robotics project ( ICARO ) which has a controller board with a PIC and all components are trough hole. Also I have assembled a couple of 3D printers. Lately I have been taking online courses about Python.

I intend to set up a ground station with no rotator shortly with 2m and 70cm antennas. Then upgrade to have a sagtnos rotator with yagis in 2m and 70cm.

I feel that I will have a lot of questions very soon.

Best regards

4 Likes

@yn1v welcome to SatNOGS!

Feel free to ask any questions here or in our matrix/irc channel.

Check also the wiki.satnogs.org that has several details on station building.

1 Like

Hi All,

This is Oussema from Tunisia, actually living in Belgium.

Have been interested in free/libre sw/hw since 2008 where i managed the university club for free software promotion.
I work as embedded sw engineer since 2010 and I am an SDR enthusiast since a couple of years.
I followed SatNOGS since it was announced on Hackaday, but only lately became able to build some HW for it, so i am currently interested in building a SatNOGS ground station here in Belgium (and probably one in Tunisia too if new regulations are less strict then they used to be when the project starts)

Feel free to reach out about any help I can provide for hw/sw design, or just to talk !

Kind Regards

3 Likes

Welcome @Houssema!

More stations in Europe are always welcome, as they give us the ability to observe more satellites at the same time, especially on new deployments.

Wondering what are the regulations that making difficult to setup a station in Tunisia.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, Iā€™m Jeff! Iā€™m a mechanical engineer based in the northeastern United States. While my skills are primarily within mechanical engineering, Iā€™m also fairly comfortable with electronics and I can hack together a script in a pinch. My current primary projects are: building a 3D printer (a Voron 1.6 if anyoneā€™s looking for a recommendation) and setting up a ground station to pick up GOES 16 (based on Pieter Noordhuisā€™ goestools).
Iā€™ve been looking through the Libre Space gitlab to try and get a handle on anything that I might be capable of helping out with, but the organizational structure of everything seems a little confusing to me. Iā€™d appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, Iā€™d love to be able to contribute to this project!

1 Like

Hi all,

Iā€™m Ruben, a ham radio operator from Belgium, callsign ON3RVH.
Iā€™ve set up a rPi3B+ with the SatNOGS Pi image and currently use my 2m/70cm Diamon vertical for antenna.
That setup will change in the next few month as we move to our new house. There I will set up a dedicated antenna for the receiver.

2 Likes

Hi @Houssema , I am from Belgium, living near the coast.
If youā€™re interessted in talking further about a station setup or whatever, hit me up and we can have a chat.

grtz

1 Like

Hello, Martin here. Found this forum in the Raspberry Pi mag. Been into electronics and Ham radio since the early 90ā€™s.

IoT Software engineer by day.
Hacker, Ham Radio operator and more by night.

12 years as an application engineer at Microchip before moving into IoT development. Interested in Embedded, Docker and containerization, C++, Python, PIC C and Asm, C#, Node

Hoping to get involved in where I can.

Martin

2 Likes