New users welcome

Hello,

My name is Krzysztof, I live in Poland, in Stargard - QTH JO73mi. Currently I have WX sats automated station and I’m looking forward to enhance it with SatNOGS. I use linux since forever, love doing electronics and radio stuff.

My station currently uses QHA antenna with custom made LNA & customized rtl_sdr USB dongles (two for now). Should QHA be enough for testing purposes? How much data traffic do station need?

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m Udayakumar Balakrishnan. You can call me Uday. I live in Chennai, India.

I’m doing my Ph.D. in Electronics, pursuing my research in the field of Advanced Communication Systems and I’m working on CubeSats. I’m building a ground station and would like to install it in my school.

I’m also a technical consultant and I run a company that deals with fiber-optic communications.

I’d love to collaborate with friends here. Please contact me if I could be of any help.

Warm regards and good luck to all.

Udaya

https://www.linkedin.com/in/udayakumar-balakrishnan-98449a78/

2 Likes

Hello!

I am an amateur radio operator and a friend of mine has been trying to get me involved in satellite operations. Specifically we are currently attempting to retrieve a picture from LilacSat-1. I’m quite interested in the SatNOGS network as it relates to receiving from satellites in amateur radio. I noticed that presently the network is in alpha and invitation only. Would it be possible to gain access for the purpose of assisting with the decode of data from amateur radio satellites?

Thanks!
-QBFreak / KJ4MSV / Jason

1 Like

Hey, @QBFreak all observations to the SatNOGS Network are openly accessible at https://network.satnogs.org/observations/ If you have decoded something from an individual observation feel free to use the button creating a topic on this forum.

If you already have a grounstation setup that you would like to get online via the SatNOGS Network I suggest you create an account on the SatNOGS Network Dev Stage Instance. As soon as you have your account ready you will be able to schedule observations to the participationg groundstations. To setup your groundstation please check out the SatNOGS client install processes https://docs.satnogs.org/en/stable/satnogs-client/doc/installation.html especially if you happen to have a Rapberry Pi 3 and an RTL-SDR handy.

As soon as you feel you like you groundstation is working properly don’t hesitate to ping the rest of the community.

If you have questions feel free to check the SatNOGS IRC channel on Freenode or the SatNOGS Matrix.org channel available via the web here:
https://riot.im/app/#/room/#satnogs:matrix.org

@elkos,

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll definitely take a look at the existing observations. If I have the opportunity to build a ground station I’ll get it connected to the Dev Instance.

Thanks again!
-QBFreak

1 Like

Hi all I’m Andy my UK ham call is M0JLY I have an interest in satellite ops (FO29) … So your project looks interesting to me as I spend as much time as I can listening via my kit and SDR’s.
I have a raspberry pi … and a RTL sdr and homemade QFH antenna for the weather sat’s so I have now ordered a POE switch and adaptors a pre amp and hope to have it set up soon. I have solar panels on the garage and a 12v battery bank so I am hoping to make the system self sustaining power wise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi!
My name is Hauke, I am an amateur radio operator mostly interested in satellites. My callsign is DH4CK.
At the moment I am running an openwebrx server (sdr.hu). Its an RPi3 with 3x rtlsdr, covering the 2m and 70cm satellite band. I am using an QFH antenna, located in Oldenburg, Germany (JO43cd).
Since then I was thinking about and automated satellite groundstation and finally I read about SatNOGS, really cool project btw!
Since I am familiar with linux I will try to set up a SatNOGS using my equipment, soon.

73s, Hauke

2 Likes

Welcome @DH4CK !

For your setup this documentation would be a good starting point. Let us know if you need any help!

Hello All

I’m a Mike - DK3WN - Ham Operator in Germany and interested in satellites and telemetry …

3 Likes

Now this is an understatement! :slight_smile: Welcome Mike to the community!

2 Likes

I’m Rick, VK6XLR, from Perth, Western Australia.

I’ve worked in SATCOM on and off since 1988. I also operate on the Amateur Satellites.
Looking to contribute to SatNOGS. I’ll be using turnstile antennas instead of my trackable array.

I have a spare Odroid U3 laying around and would like to use that instead of an RPi3. Any known hassles or advice for these units? Or better to go the RPi route?

Cheers, Rick

1 Like

Hey Rick,

Welcome!

The tested and supported device is RPi3 for now, but people have managed to run client on other hardware too, like x86 platforms.

Unfortunately until now no one tried it on Odroid U3 hardware. You can go forward with Odroid, if you haven’t already done so and let us know if there are any issues.

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

Using the RPi3. I’m not to familiar with the Odroid anyway. I bought it for another project that never eventuated.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m Douglas in EM12 near Dallas, Texas.

I am interested in satellite telemetry but more interested in digital signal processing for converting the received signals back into bits. I have written several satellite software modems and telemetry decoders for AMSAT satellites. I also interested in GNU radio (to write even better demodulators) and in orbital mechanics (for example, measuring time-of-closest-approach (TCA) from the SatNOGS observations). If the SatNOGs network allows for it, I’d also like to look for lost, missing, supposedly inactive, and new satellites.
Douglas

1 Like

hey i am ripudaman . i am very intrested in know deep about this project and to build one too.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Cees Bassa from the Netherlands. My primary interest is to disentangle newly launched cubesats from their orbital elements and radio frequencies, but I’m looking forward to receive and decode telemetry.

2 Likes

Hi Douglas,

your contributions on GNU Radio are most welcome. You can provide your own demodulators or extend the existing one in SatNOGS OOT module of GNU-Radio called gr-satnogs. You can find the repo at the following url https://github.com/satnogs/gr-satnogs

Hey all,

My name is Mark and I am setting up a ground station for the Portland State University in Oregon, USA. We are sending up a cubeSAT through the NASA CLSI initiative and would like to track it! I am excited to work with you all and learn about working with complete software/hardware stacks :smile:

Thanks!

6 Likes

Greetings. This is Rich Gillin (AL4S) operating Earth Station KL7AA in Anchorage Alaska (BP51be). Previously participated with GENSO and sad to see it go away. I specialize in digital modes and wifi mesh nodes.

The KL7AA station is operational and ready to start with SatNOG.

Station:
Yaesu FT-847
MicroHam Microkeyer II
Yaesu G-5500 rotator with AMSAT LVB tracker
M2 VHF and UHF yagis

5 Likes

Hello, I’m Charles Bird, I reside in Omaha, NE and Denver, CO both.

My intent is do build a ground station for UHF/VHF/L Band this fall.

I come from broadcast, VHF/UHF + C and KU

Now for me to beg a land owner to colocate my rig, and get to building something!

4 Likes