New users welcome

Hehe exactly… more hobbies… :joy:

I already have an early version which is actually moving - with parts printed by a friend.
But they were made from PLA and i decided that i want to start with PETG made parts because i dont want to reassemble the whole thing after the summer :grin:

And yeah, i already discovered the wonderful satnogs community, got a lot support in the IRC and here already :slight_smile:

Hi.

I’m new to this group. I’ve been lurking for a few days and thought I should probably say hi. Name is Steve, KD0IJP. I have started the process of printing and collecting parts to do a rotator build. Looking forward to making progress on that.

In addition to the SATNOGS project, I’d also be interested in the high power rocketry telemetry project as I am already involved in that hobby. Is that project still alive?

Steve, KD0IJP

2 Likes

Hi Steve and welcome.

We are really glad you decided to drop a line.

Regarding the HPR telemetry,

this board is 90mm in diameter and needs a 7.2V battery to operate.
Software has some glitches that need to be fixed.

Regarding reception we are using SDR, a gnuradio script and visualization using graphana (this is a good oportunity to update that repo).

If you are looking for smaller modules, we plan on creating a sensor board for the PQ9ISH format.
That would be a square stack-able PCB of 46x46mm.

Its main advantage besides its smaller size is the use of AX5023 rf transceiver that allows a very wide frequency range to be used. Additionally it has a 1.9W rf amplifier that can really boost the range.

We currently have a working COMMS board and the second version will be tested next week.

Once again welcome to our community.

Ilias

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at the stuff on gitlab. I’m currently using one of the Altus Metrum products, which does some of the same things. They are fully open source as well.

Steve

@pierros
Hi I’m new here. I’m Konrad. I’m in the Seattle, WA metro area.

I found this project through Twitter.

I’ve been playing with Outernet DreamCatcher 3.xx, which is a receiver for free Ku-Band datacasts currently to North America over the SES-2 satellite. The signal uses a spread-spectrum modulation called LoRa which has a fair amount of process gain so that it can pick up the signal from the geo-stationary satellite with just an LNB aimed up in the sky. I’ve had to add a small cone to the end to improve my SNR just a bit, but it works. It receives the news, the weather, Wikipedia pages, audio broadcasts, etc. and Ham Radio APRS messages. E-mails may be in the works.

So how to send messages back to civilization? Could LEO’s take a short APRS message back as they pass-over? Are there satellites that store and forward? I’m here to find out.

I have experience with Raspberry Pi and RTL-SDRs, and LNAs, and VHF/UHF transmitters, so I could put the radio part of a Ground Station, but I don’t have good access to put up tracking antennas because I live in a townhouse that has an that forbids antennas (except for TV dishes). I also don’t have immediate access to print large plastic parts.

–Konrad

2 Likes

Hi @WA4OSH, and welcome to SatNOGS! I’m in the same boat you are: I’m in a townhouse and don’t have the space to put up a rotator. That isn’t stopping me from slowly building one, though…:slight_smile: I’m thinking of contacting either a local ham club or a high school to see if some space can be arranged on a rooftop.

There are folks around who have no-rotator setups, often with vertical antennas – some are even running rotators indoors. I’ve had varying luck mounting the rabbit-ears that come with the latest RTL-SDR version on the inside of a 3rd story window…for some stronger satellites, I can still pick up a signal (though not necessarily well enough to do any data decoding). I suspect that a better antenna would pick up more, even inside.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Felix, DL4FW, currently doing my PhD in the field of Delay-Tolerant Networking at TU Dresden, Germany. I’m also one of the developers of the µPCN DTN implementation which will be field-tested on ESA’s OPS-SAT, most probably in 2019.

We have some ground station hardware lying around and already successfully set up two SatNOGS stations with static antennas (dev 234 and 252, currently non-functional).

In my research work I’m planning to develop algorithms for predicting achievable transmission volumes for LEO satellite encounters and doing proactive scheduling based on that. We are currently experimenting with obtaining a signal quality indicator / SNR from IQ data and SatNOGS OGG files of NOAA observations to get a comprehensive data set for evaluations. So, if anyone of you already has experience with that, it would be nice to get in touch!

Felix

3 Likes

Hi Felix! Welcome to the project. It looks like you are doing some very interesting research work.

Interesting … I suppose taking a look at the “eye” diagram of the data stream from the NOAA satellite will certainly be related to SNR.

–Konrad

1 Like

Hi All, Steve Powell from Derby in the UK.

Ham Radio operator and been a listener for as long as I can remember. Just started the building of the rotator having spent a few weeks gathering together all of the parts.

Really looking forward to getting onto the network!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Steve!
You know you can build the ground station fairly quickly. It’s not much to get the ground station going. The easiest way is to build get an RTL-SDR (a RTL2832U & R820T2-Based Software Defined Radio) in a metal enclosure and a Raspberry Pi, a 2.1A power cube, a 8GB micro-SD card and an SMA to UHF adapter. You can now put this up on an HF dipole, a VHF/UHF vertical and start watching.

Your rotator and Yagis will take a little time.

Post your questions on this forum (under the appropriate heading of course) and we’ll be happy to lend you a hand.
–Konrad (Seattle, WA)

1 Like

Hello there,
(“General Kenobi”)

I’m Hugo a student in electronic engineering in University of Montpellier, in France. I’m interested in the space domain. And the SatNOGS GT I’m developing, is my first step in this area.
So all help will be welcome.

I already received NOAA satellite several time, and some time CubeSats but never before with the SatNOGS software.
My setup is a FunCube Dongle Pro + and a QHF antenna.

At the moment I try to put my GT on the network.

Hugo

3 Likes

Hugo,
Welcome to SatNOGS.
QFH antenna --> FunCube Dongle Pro -> Raspberry Pi? <-----> Internet

I saw your other post. I will respond there.

–Konrad

Hello Konrad,

Thank you.

Yes, I use a Raspberry Pi 3B and I am connected to network with WIFI.

Ok, thanks.

Hugo

1 Like

Thank you all letting me aboard,.retired Tool & Die Guy,… G-M,… CW enthusiast ,… play radio most the night,… So very interested in Radio Astronomy, and Moon Bounce, not active as yet Moon bounce, Satellites are my Main interest these days,…Wonderful group here,… Talk later,…

2 Likes

Welcome to SatNogs.

Is there a similar crowd-sourced radio astronomy group? It would really be nice to be able to make observations of various parts of the sky on different frequencies. There’s an IRC chat group on freenode called #RadioAstronomy.

I think you will find this article fascinating if you have not seen it yet.

If you are interested in observing LEO’s, you have found the right place. We’ll look for you as you build your SatNogs ground station. Incidentally, there’s an IRC chat group on freenode called #SatNogs. Now you know where to find us.

–Konrad

1 Like

@pierros let’s make a radio astronomy category here in discourse?

4 Likes

I think this could be an off-shoot of the SatNOGS project. I’ve recently talked to several people that are interested in #RadioAstronomy. The Open-Source rotator could most certainly be used to move a set of loop yagis (or parabolic dish?) at various objects in the sky for the Hydrogen Line (and Doppler Shifted down). The database could contain predictions for objects in our solar system and rather than LEO satellites. Eg. the Sun, the Moon and Jupiter. Various parts of the Milky Way might be interesting to track. How about tracking meteors, using known radar sources and crowd-sourcing receiving the return signal?

There’s a wealth of information in this document:

There is no reason the Sun could not be one of the first objects to be tracked by a project like this. A disturbed sun has a lot of emissions between 30 and 3 GHz. It’s a natural satellite.

Sun at 210 MHz:
http://science.org.ge/old/3-2/Makhandarashvili.pdf

11.4.1 Meter-Wave Range (25 - 500 MHz)
11.4.2 Decimeter-Wave Range (500 - 2000 MHz).
http://www.cnofs.org/Handbook_of_Geophysics_1985/Chptr11.pdf

–Konrad

1 Like

I think technically we are the Sun’s satellite :smile:

Really having fun with the osgs system lately - keep up the great work everyone.

2 Likes

Ahhh. You got me on that one. The Earth is the Sun’s satellite.

–Konrad

1 Like

Hello all,

my name is Pavel. I am from Czechia and I am a HAM. My callsign is OK1PHU. I am interesting in satellite reception. For SATNOGS I use solar powered RPI3 with RTL2832 SDR tuner with 0,5PPM TCXO. My antenna is QFH, originally for NOAA.

Good luck for all.

7 Likes