Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB6 using hamlib-w64-4.5

I was able to use rigctld successfully with my Linux Laptop, Kenwood TM-V71A and Gpredict to track satellites and control the radio frequency settings for doppler effect. I am now using a Windows Laptop to perform the same task but am unable to open USB6 using the following command: rigctld -m 2035 -r /dev/ttyUSB6 -s 9600 -vvv The output I receive after entering this command is shown below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.2251]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\MyPC>rigctld -m 2035 -r /dev/ttyUSB6 -s 9600 -vvv
serial_open(229): open failed#1
serial_open(229): open failed#2
serial_open(229): open failed#3
serial_open(229): open failed#4
serial_open: Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB6 - No such file or directory
port_open: serial_open(/dev/ttyUSB6) status=-6, err=No such file or directory
Opened rig model 2035, ‘TM-V71(A)’

USB6 is working when programming the Kenwood so I know the cable and port are working.

Any assistance you can provide in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Without any details, here is what I can share:

On Linux we also need to know the user and group access right:
Here an example: ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

crw-rw----+ 1 root dialout 188, 0 Nov 16 17:12 /dev/ttyUSB0

As you can see, the user root and group membership dialout has read write access to this device.
By executing the command id you can see your group membership to make sure you are in the group dialout.

...... ,20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),108(netdev),110(wireshark),113(bluetooth),118(scanner) .......

If you aren’t, with the command usermod you are able to change this. usermod -a -G dialout <your username> This will not be active right away, the easiest solution is to reboot.

On Windows, we don’t have /dev/ttyUSB0 devices, they are just called com1 for example, in the device manager you can find the right value.

Then the command will be something like this rigctld -m 2035 -r com6 -s 9600 -vvv

I hope this will help you solve the challenge.

Thanks Jan, looks like I am making some gains toward resolution. Here is the output I have now:

C:\Users\MyPC>rigctld -m 2035 -r COM6 -t 4532 -s 9600 -vvv
read_string_generic(): Timed out 1.099 seconds after 0 chars, direct=1
kenwood_transaction: read_string retval < 0, retval = -5, retry_read=0, rs->rigport.retry=0
read_string_generic(): Timed out 1.097 seconds after 0 chars, direct=1
kenwood_transaction: read_string retval < 0, retval = -5, retry_read=0, rs->rigport.retry=0
kenwood_open: no response to get_id from rig…continuing anyway
read_string_generic(): Timed out 1.098 seconds after 0 chars, direct=1
kenwood_open: no response from rig
Opened rig model 2035, ‘TM-V71(A)’

Check if the COM port is indeed 6 the information can be found in the Windows Device Manager

This example isn’t showing any serial information, but in your case it should.

It is displayed in device manager, as I removed the cable and it disappeared from device manager. When I put it back it appeared in device manager. I also use the cable on this port, when I program the radio using software so the cable and port are good. I tried moving the cable to another port and got the same results.

But what is the com port value, is it indeed 6 ? or something else

Yes, ii confirmed it is 6.

What about rigctl -m 2035 -r com6 -s 9600 -vvv so not rigctld.

rigctld - TCP radio control daemon but
rigctl - control radio transceivers and receivers

Here is the output using the rigctl command not rigctld:

C:\Users\MyPC>rigctl -m 2035 -r COM6 -s 9600 -vvv
kenwood_open: no response to get_id from rig…continuing anyway
read_string_generic(): Timed out 1.097 seconds after 0 chars, direct=1
kenwood_open: no response from rig
rig_open: error = COM6 No such file or directory

Please also have a look at Using Kenwood TM-V71a (using -m 2034 TM-D710G Driver) with Gpredict Software this question has been asked before.

That was actually my entry and with your assistance i was able to resolve my issue and had Gpredict running under Linux.

I tried using the driver you recommend but no change in my issue. I may have to install Linux using a dual boot configuration.

There are still so many variables that can be of influence and I don’t have the option to do some testing because I don’t have the devices at hand.

One of the first things I would try, is there a good working device support for your USB to serial converter, in the past there have been devices that where no longer supported by Windows because of “illegal” use of chips inside these converters.

One of the reasons I always try to start with real serial ports on my computer.

Then with serial communication we always have the situation, do we need to cross RX and TX are other signals like xon-xoff or dtr and similar needed for a good communication.
Maybe just connect a terminal program like PuTTY to see if you can interact with the radio.

And at last, are we comparing similar version of rigctl/hamlib when switching operation systems.

Jan, once again I want to thank you for your assistance. I decided to use a 2nd drive for Linux Mint, I reloaded and successfully configured the radio and software. I did run into an unusual problem with Hamlib 4.5. When I loaded it on my windows laptop it displayed Kenwood TM V71A as -m 2035, in the list of supported radios. When I loaded 4.5 from the same location on my Linux drive, the Kenwood TM V71A does not appear in lthe list. I used the Kenwood TM 710(G) -m 234 and it worked fine.
Thanks again!
Jim