TP-Link testing

Hi, I’m Jasper and I’m a student

I’m trying to control a Yeasu G5500 rotor using the TP-link (and some
additional hardware)

I configured the TP-link using the steps on your Site:

-So I flashed openWrt in it,
-installed the hamlib and rtl-sdr packages,
-I secure copied the satnogs.sh script and rebooted the router.

Now if I get this right, I should be able to get some data out of the USB port
of the TP-link?

But I’m not quite sure how I can do this, is there a way to verify if I
correctly configured the TP-link?

And what commands do I need to send to recieve data over the USB port?

Is there anyone who can help me?

Kind regards

Jasper

Hey Jasper!

Can you describe your connections between Yaesu G5500 and the router? Are you using a custom made rotor controller? or the Yaesu ‘computer-control’ one?

The process of setting up OpenWRT seems correct :smile:

Also, welcome! :rocket:

Thank you for the fast response

We are going to custom make one, but before we do so I want to be sure I’m able to get the control data from the tp-link.
So now I have connected a USB to Serial device at the tp-link and i’m trying to get data out of it. Without any luck.

I’m trying the following:
-Open putty, going to the ip-adress of the router.
-Logging on
-typing rotctld P10.00 10.00 (hoping to set a certain position this way)
this doesn’t seem to be a valid command, where am I going wrong?

Kind Regards
Jasper

On your USB side you are expecting to get commands on EasyComm 2 protocol. You can check here our Arduino code for the “accepting” side.

Now on how you get rotctld up and running. You need to call it and bind it on a USB (serial port), you can check here or in our satnogs.sh script on how to call it (using model and USB port)

Then once it is up and running on a port you can telnet on it (4533 by default) and issue rotctrl commands. Only then you will see easycomm 2 commands send through the USB side :smile:

By the way you need to include the model number when calling rotctld. In our case we use 202 (which is Easycomm 2 that we use for our Arduino side). You might want to use a different one.

Check rotctld -l for all options.

Ok thanks for the information.

I will look into it and reply when I get it to work :wink:

Yesterday I used the “usbutils” package to discover new USB devices connected to the TP-link.
I found out that my USB to Serial device wasn’t detected by the TP-link so now I’m using an Arduino UNO. I’ve put the “Serial part” of your code on to it. Now I’m still not able to connect to it.

These are the commands I’m sending:
Command: rotctl -m 202 -r ls /dev/bus/usb/001/002 -s 19200
Response: error = IO error

where am I going wrong?

Kind Regards

Jasper

Jasper,

You might have to look into the kernel log to see what the arduino is showing up as. So, unplug the arduino from the USB, give it a second, then plug it back in. After you plug it back in run ‘dmesg | less’ and pagedown to the bottom. Scroll up from the bottom a bit (depending on what is going and how much time between plugging it in and running this command) and you should see notice of the new USB device being plugged in. Look for a tty assignment… Like ttyUSB0 or where it shows up for me, ttyACM0. This will be the /dev/ device you should point to. Also drop “ls” from your command line as it is a directory listing command and not a part of the file name.

So, for example, this is what I use:

rotctl -m 202 -r /dev/ttyACM0 -s 19200

Hope that helps!

@kb9jhu You where right, now i use: rotctl -m 202 -r /dev/ttyATH0 -s 19200
and i’m getting Rotator command:

Now I can go on testing
Tanks a lot!

Looks like there is a problem connecting the usb devices.(He doesn’t recognise them)
I’ve searched the web and found that there are many others facing this problem.

Can you tell me what version of Openwrt u are currently using?

Hey there, which TP-Link are you using? What power supply? It could be a power issue.

TP-link tl-wr703N, powered from my pc.
Just changed the Openwrt version and the USB is detectable
So again i’m a little step further to getting it to work

What version of openWrt are you guys using?

I’ve got the positioning working using gpredict, but when I Try to connect the DVB-T stick. I can’t detect it.

Are there any other packages I need to install?

Kind regards

Jasper

You might be having a powering issue. You need an external power adapter of at least 1A to power both the arduino and the RTL dongle

At the moment i’m just powering the RTL dongle

Really depends which firmware you are on. Do you have kmod-usb*, rtl-sdr packages installed?

Then, powering through PC can likely be the issue since some provide only 500mA max.

I have those packages installed.

I’ve got the RTL dongle to send data to SDR# but sometimes the router reboots after a
while.

Is it true that I need to open the connection using :

rtl_tcp -a “IP-adres” -p “4532”

since this seems to do the trick.

or is there a more stable alternative using rigctld?

I also experience frequent crashes (no matter if RPI or OpenWRT) of the rtl_tcp server. There are some memory leaks which can cause illegal writes int he current rtl-sdr (09-2014) which might kill the router as you describe. Also It appers that the rtl_tcp is not absolutely stable yet, sometimes if the usb transfer fails the there can be a problem.

On OpenWRT:

Reduce the number of buffers using -n and -b commands.

I use:
rtl_tcp -a 0.0.0.0 -n 5 -b 5

If youre willing, I have opened two issues with the biggest problems that occur for me.

Can you take a look if you have similar problems?

https://github.com/satnogs/rtl-sdr/issues/4

https://github.com/satnogs/rtl-sdr/issues/3