Test of new antenna for station 858 SM0TGU

I’m testing a DYI VHF/UHF Moxon antenna for my station 858. Fixed elevation about south and an elevation of… maybe 45 degree. I will run this a couple of days, daytime only.

The RPi is powered from an USB power bank.

Plan is to install a VHF/UHF (or UHF only) yagi with fixed position, in order to make it possible to decode data from satellites from my station.

6 Likes

Tests now finished. Back to disconne antenna. Next test in a couple of weeks with 3 element RHCP UHF yagi.

2 Likes

My 3 el RHCP UHF Yagi is soon to be tested. As always from my side all projects gets delayed. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

3 el RHCP UHF Yagi is now on test. If this will not work, I will buy a ready made UHF yagi.

3 Likes

This 3 el X-Yagi performs well, the best antenna so far I have tested for SatNOGS (and I have tested many…). Thanks to @pe0sat for support.
The antenna will now be mounted on the roof with a broadband LNA so station 858 will now be offline for a while. Also I have vacation and there has been some thunderstorms the last days.

1 Like

Could you share a link to the plans for this antenna?

The yagi is pointed at zenith?

Have a look at this link and then especially the 3 element yagi part.

There is also a link to the original design and calculator.

Yes it will be.

I’m sorry to say that this construction failed when I mounted in on the mast/roof. It was a bad construction mechanical. Phasing cable for RHCP broke. Coax cable connection to the driven element was unstable. Also the antenna was to narrow in bw. When built correct I still thinks this is a good antenna.

Next attempt will be a dk7zb design with better material for the driven element and directors. As i know station 858 is used by many I have a goal to provide a better s/n on the UHF band from my station.

Stay tuned for updates!

2 Likes

Now running a 5 el DK7ZB yagi. Read more here.