Stegoboard-SatNOGS ground station

Just to show, that it really counts decoded frames:

73 Oliver

4 Likes

:-), i will do that. I think i have to go for a gitlab account.

See you, 73 Oliver

This is really fantastic @dl6kbg … great job.

My knee jerk thoughts on possible enhancements:

• Rather than show blobs of text, add more visual elements
  • Instead of Start/End, show a time bar similar to the Observation planner
  • Frequency - use larger units – kHz, mHz, etc – easier for the eye to scan
  • Decodes – if it’s a weather image(s), show the first one or two
  • Sat image – move it to the top, near the satellite name (and make it smaller)

Just some ideas! Since this is a display for humans, making it more design influenced makes it more enjoyable to look at. And since it’s not for consumption by scripts or analysts, no need to have precision content (i.e. 437421500 is unnecessary since it’s hard for the mind to enjoy and you aren’t copy and pasting this into an SDR app).

Whatever you come up with though, I’m super interested, this is cool!

Hi,
I am using the standard distro. and have managed to get this to work using Yaft (alacritty wouldn’t compile on my RasPi 3 or 4GB RasPi 4).
However, I cannot get in to run at boot without running Yaft then the monitor via the keyboard (which I would prefer not to have connected). I tried your suggestion to @testmatch but no joy at all. Any ideas?
Also I notice that on mine and the images supplied by thebaldgeek our CPU loading, CPU temperature and memory usage are blank. How did you get those to work?
Great build btw. Very jealous.

@dl6kbg Just a super quick mockup with some ideas. If I took this seriously, I’d spend more time to really iron out the spacing, think about practicality of the information, add more information and visual elements, etc. But hopefully this serves as inspiration for improvements.

1 Like

They only work if you are running on the Pi and using its HDMI port.
Edit the file; ~/.config/satnogs-monitor/config.toml
Comment out the local and you should be up and running.

Thanks for the quick response tbg.
I am using the stations Pi but using the DSI port for video (Pimoriloni 7" touchscreen).
I will play about with the .toml file this weekend and post results.

Michael

Hi @kevinelliott and many thanks for the flowers.

The code is not from me. I mentioned it in my first post above. Actually this python code does nothing more than pulling information from the satnogs-api and at the end it renders a picture out of the information.

If you want to have blinking bargraphs and so on, i think you’ll have to switch to Node-Red. I have that on my list, but actually i am on the attic about building my new radio-shack. So this will take some time.

It’s worth to dive into Python, Node-Red and the Satnogs-Api. It’s not that hard. The hardest is to have the time.

Many thanks for your ideas.

73 Oliver

Not true about the HDMI port, btw, at least for me I don’t use the HDMI port and I see those values when connecting over SSH and running it.

@dl6kbg Oh, no blinking bars for me. I was just saying to change the way the information is displayed, as per my example mockup.

Oh. I have never seen them… whats your config file look like?

@thebaldgeek

pi@satnogs1:~/satnogs-monitor/monitor $ more ~/.config/satnogs-monitor/config.toml 
# satnogs-monitor example config

# log level 0 -> WARN, 1 -> INFO, 2 -> DEBUG, 3 -> TRACE
log_level = 1

[[stations]]
# Your stations SatNOGS id
satnogs_id = 1003
# Set this to true if the monitor runs on the same machine as the SetNOGS ground station
# to get system infos (CPU temperature, Mem usage, ...).
local = true
# The local IP address of your station
# This will be used to get realtime information like system status, CPU temperature, ...
# NOT USED YET
# rt_ip = "192.168.0.13"
# The port of the station node providing realtime information
# NOT USED YET
# rt_port = 8377

[ui]
# Number of orbits plotted on the map.
ground_track_num = 3
1 Like

Oh @kevinelliott sorry for that. You‘re right. I will see what I can do.

73 Oliver

I set local = false in the .toml file and now get the CPU load etc. displaying on the Pimoroni 7" screen on the station.
Thanks TBG.
Worked a treat.

1 Like

Apologies for the silence - at TAPR/ARRL DCC this weekend.

Interestingly, mine is set opposite that (“local = true”) and it works fine on the 7" screen through the DSI port.

However, I’m also using a rpi4 and buster so maybe there is a difference there??

Thanks for the reply…
Food for thought there. I will eventually be switching out to an rpi4 after I have upgraded my antenna (double cross di-pole with 3D printed junction box on the mast top is my goal).
I still can’t get the monitor to run at boot on the station but have used a pre-ob script to fire it up for now. The script creates an empty file to use as a flag to avoid launching multiple instances. The file is wiped at boot. I know, I know. If I can wipe a file at boot why can’t I launch the monitor at boot. Beats me tbh. New to all of this. Lol. Bit hacky but it works for me.

Does it dump you into a bash shell instead? Try adding more of a sleep delay, needs to have the network up before it runs.

Thanks Corey. I will give it a try and report my results.

which app do you use for ssh on the old ipad?

I use “termius” on an ipad2.

–Roy
K3RLD

1 Like