Rotator and rotator controller shopping list

Hi @lk151 – welcome from another newbie! I’m juuuust starting the process of building out a ground station myself, so I’ve been trying to collect this kind of info too. I don’t have all the answers, but hopefully this will be somewhat useful.

I believe so; I don’t see a later tag or git branch on the repo.

No idea, I’m afraid; perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Is the bill of materials what you’re after? Also, it looks like you should be able to get Oshpark to print out the PCB boards.

You can find assembly instructions for v3 of the rotator on the Ohai site. (Side note: hardware assembly instructions are being migrated from the old Dozuki site to the new Ohai site. This is a work in progress. I don’t think I see anything on the old site that’s relevant to your questions, but you should double-check that. :slight_smile:) I also came across this set of notes from someone who has assembled v3, which may be of some use.

The wiki mentions both steppers and DC motors; electronics isn’t my strong suit, so I’m not sure of the tradeoffs, but this post goes into the details a bit. You may want to check in the gallery section of this site, or a search through this site for “motors”.

Mechanical assembly of the v3 rotator can be found on the Ohai site. There’s also a fun assembly timelapse video on YouTube, though I’m not sure how useful it will be to you. :slight_smile:

Is the bill of materials on the repo what you’re after? As for sourcing, this post has a good list of places to buy parts if you’re in the US or Canada.

The only mention I can find is this post, which mentions the v1 branch of the satnogs-rotator-controller repo…but AFAICT, the v1 branch was merged in a couple years ago. I haven’t dug around in that repo yet, so possibly power suppy files are in there…maybe someone else can chime in.

Speaking for myself, I haven’t seen all these questions before, and I’m grateful you asked them…like I said, I’m early in the process of building a ground station. (For no particular reason, I started with the antenna…so I haven’t started to dig into the rotator yet.) I’ve tried to improve the wiki, which is meant to be the one place that holds this info, or pointers to it…it’d be great if you could have a look and add anything that’s missing.

Hope that helps, and definitely keep us posted on your progress!