Raspbian SatNOGS client images available!

#Warning: This post is outdated!!! Please, follow the instructions on the wiki!!!

Raspbian SatNOGS client images are available!

The images are generated using pi-gen and GitLab CI.
You can find the latest image here.

#How to install

Prerequisites

1. A microSD card
  2. A Raspberry Pi 3
  3. An SSH client
  4. Internet connectivity

Steps

1. Follow Raspbian flashing instructions to unzip and flash the image to the microSD card
  2. SSH to RPi with user pi and password raspberry
  3. Run sudo satnogs-setup
  4. Set basic configuration options and quit dialog when done
  5. Let RPi configure itself (this may take a while)

Reconfiguring

1. SSH to RPi
  2. Run sudo satnogs-setup -n
3 Likes

Great to hear. Well done !!! :grinning:

Just awaiting a few more harware parts, then I’ll reload and try with these images :slight_smile:

I’ve setup my VHF side with the new RPi image. Seemed to go ok.
Have a few observations scheduled, for testing :slight_smile:

2 questions with new image:
1: how do I adjust the rtlsdr gain settings?
2: how will SatNOGS updates be applied?

Great @Zathras! Thanks for trying out the image. We really need some testers!

1 Like

Reconfigure the SatNOGS client system with sudo satnogs-setup -n. You can adjust the RTL-SDR gain under Advanced configuration options. There are options for RF, IF and BB gain.

If you want to update SatNOGS software, run sudo satnogs-setup. It will pull the latest Ansible playbook and update if necessary. This action can potentially interrupt a running observation, though.

You can also update Raspbian packages if you like, using the normal APT updating methods (e.g. apt-get upgrade or aptitude).

1 Like

Hi @Acinonyx – are the Raspbian images meant to replace the Fedora install process documented here, or will they both co-exist? I’m hoping to add some documentation to the SatNOGS wiki (and start setting up a ground station :slight_smile:), so I want to make sure I get things right.

Thanks for the info.
I’ve adjusted the RF gain. WIll see how that goes.

Is there a list of all the default settings and image documentation? Flying blind at the moment.

Oh, I did find where outgoing data is stored: /tmp/.satnogs/data very handy to know.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation on the image options yet. Only the description field of the menu items:

But, you can get an idea of the default options from Ansible playbook variables which is actually what runs under the hood. Most of the commented out variables are set with the default values, except from the obvious which purely serve the role of examples.

1 Like

Thanks @saintaardvark! AFAIK, both will co-exist for now. I’ll try to start a conversation about the future of Fedora based installations on IRC.

Saw that in the Advanced Menu.
Wondering what default settings might be? For example, in gr-satnogs, hw-settings.py has a gain of 32.8 for rtlsdr. Is this the same with Ansible variables?

Also interesting to see that uploaded observations on station 119 from about 0630Z 20/09/17, all are waiting waterfall, some data, yet the audio is present. I do see the files sitting in /tmp/.satnogs/data/. What would be causing this?

You can select Show menu item to see which variables override client default settings.

Yes, I realise that, but the default settings are not shown on that page.
Is there a complete list somewhere of default values?
Even for just gain values. Or are they as per hw-settings.py?

Unfortunately, no. We are a little behind on the documentation. @saintaardvark has started adding docs in the wiki.

I’m away from home right now, but one of the things I want to do when I get back is to capture a walkthrough of the Raspbian installation. Detailed info like you’re talking about, @Zathras, could probably go into either the wiki or the repository (though probably easier and more maintainable to keep it in the repo).

Of course, if anyone beats me to it and adds that info, I wouldn’t say no… :smile:

1 Like

The new satnogs-setup menu is brilliant. (as of 17 October)
Easy to use and works great.

Well done guys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Double SDR setup

A new SatNOGS client image is available as of today. You can find the image here as usual. This new image is based on Raspbian buster and supports the new Raspberry Pi 4.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Sorry for the noise, but does that mean we should also update our Pi3s?
(So its an across the board update for everyone?)

So it means that satnogs is compatible buster now?