Observation 7014595: LORIS (99233)

We are operating LORIS out of Canada - we haven’t managed to contact the spacecraft so we are going through the obs here and we noticed several contacts across South America and even Europe.

The issue is LORIS is not supposed to beacon, and only starts TX when it commanded by Earth. so it is peculiar to see these packets from other locations.

So i was hoping to get a second opinion on some of these obs maybe we can use these to better tune our system in Canada to talk to it

Observation 7014595

observations/7004278/)
observations/7014620/
observations/7014551/
observations/7014550/

This is by far the clearest - but looks like a very wide band
observations/7014587/

And this one from a day and so ago - looks like a good signal but Center Freq might be off?
observations/7004278/)

So to recap - LORIS should not really be transmitting over most of these locations because they are far too outside of it’s range when it’s over out GND. So is it possible a satellite close to our TLE transmitting on our band ? or is there an issue with our GND station that we can’t read these signals

1 Like

Good afternoon Loris team,

Congratulations with your launch and satellite project.

Looking at the LORIS observations, there is one where I expect that it is indeed from LORIS, this ground station is “close” to Canada and can be in the same footprint when LORIS is passing your ground station.

I was looking for details on the FSK signals used by LORIS, so we could possibly help in identifying the satellite, but they aren’t available on your website

I see you are IARU coordinated and therefor a welcome guest in the Ham radio 70cm UHF band. Please share more details on the comm system as stated in the IARU agreement.

This will also help in positively identifying the satellites and maybe also share more data if you decided to activate the satellite over more locations. The SatNOGS network and database can be of assistance.

Regards,

Jan PE0SAT

2 Likes

@loris-ops thanks for the info.

As @PE0SAT noted from the linked observations only one is a good candidate. There are some other observations on LORIS frequency marked with signal in Network but the signals in the waterfall vary on size and type.

So, we need more details about the expected LORIS transmission(s) in order to find out what’s going on.

About this one, I’ve noticed that the signal is very similar to the ORCASat ones but it is in the LORIS frequency. Also the signal seems to follow the TLE of the object that until now I think is ORCAS. However to be honest I’m not 100% sure that the signals on ORCASat observations are indeed from it. Here is my latest post on this matter.

1 Like

Hello Jan,

thanks for your prompt reply - we are very short on resources, so website is very out of date.

So far we have the following for downlink

CF: 437.165 MHz
BR: 9K600 (ITU App shows 19K2)
PW: 1 Watt (30 dbi)
BW: Supposed to be 25KHz however, we have found some documents that shows BW might have been accidently changed to 12.5 KHz prior to integration - still investigating that
FEC: No FEC

We will post the packetization up as soon as we confirm proper decoding on a good downlink

@PE0SAT the signal that we see observed by @fredy is over UTAH - our GND station is in Nova Scotia and far outside of the footprint. that makes me wonder if this is ORCASAT (they are in BC) and significantly closer to that station)

By comparing CFs

LORIS: 437165 KHz
ORCA: 437060 KHz

Orca and Loris are riding very close to each other, so it is a possibility, however we have a 100 Khz separation so i am not sure even doppler, this signal is ORCA

1 Like

Indeed that difference is too big to be covered by doppler, so maybe is something else, this is why I’m so confused. Maybe someone from the ORCA team could give us some info, unfortunately I don’t have any contact with them.

EDIT: Let’s keep continue to track LORIS, also please share the UTC timestamps for your communication attempts with LORIS, this will help us to organize scheduling on our side and maximize any chances to receive it.

Thanks for this information, we will create some obs on stations near Nova Scotia.

What framing is used by the 19k2 baud-rate ?

Here is my 2 cents.

LORIS is transmitting GMSK@19200. A GMSK@19200 pattern is recognizable on a waterfall, so a comparable visual of other GMSK@19200 modulations could indicate a valid transmission from LORIS.

If I search for GMSK@19200 modulations, some good ones are 6998110 and 6995215.
if I compare with GMSK@9600 modulation, some good ones are 7000660, 6996193 and 6995234.
I compare with GMSK@4800 modulations where I see a narrower visual on the waterfall (6999309, 7009128).

Obs 7004278, 6963772 are similar and look good to me, but then, if LORIS is NOT transmitting outside Canada, what are these transmissions.
Finally, job 7004278 seems to have data. Has this been validated by the LORIS Team ?

Regards,
Laurent VE2WI
satNOGS # 901

Thanks for the update, but we still need to know the framing, most of the 19k2 signals are G3RUH AX.25, for example the Firebirds are using that mode.

Lets wait for more details and if we can receive signals from SatNOGS ground stations near Nova Scotia.

1 Like