Observation 1044185: HORYU 2 (38340)

Should I mark this as a success? I am new btw

Regarding Observation 1044185

Hello,
your observation must votted bad.

Example of good CW https://network.satnogs.org/observations/1041208/

For CW modulation, the signal must be straight and close to the central axis.

1 Like

Is there a possibility that the signal is “corrupted” by moving the antenna or having it inside? Because now I have my antenna outside and now I get clear signals.

Your observation represents parasitic signals.

satnogs-client corrects the frequency to compensate for the Doppler effect due to the relative speed between the satellite and your station.

So the signals you see going from right to left are fixed frequency signals in your environment.

For a good listening, it is necessary to position the antenna outside and without obstacle nearby to listen to the nearest of the horizon.

2 Likes

again this is a recent noaa 18 observation and this is definitely bad. Now I think that i have some faulty software or hardware
Regarding Observation 1044321

What material do you have ?

My station : biconical antenna (25 MHz to 3 Ghz) at 5 m from the ground with 10 meters coaxiale and sdr with R820T2 + RTL2832U.

my station: antenna that came with the bundle(25mhz-1700mhz) at about 3-3.5 meters from the ground with woods ,hills and many houses nearby and a rtl-sdr RTL2832U+R820T2. It`s late so I am not gona adjust it right now and its just for testing. My window is currently open and my cable is fed through the window just for testing purposes. As I am getting more and more into this stuff(I have learned more of this conversation that anywhere else) I am looking into buying a better antenna for the roof. Which one do you recommend? do old tv antennas work too?
And if i may ask what is a parasitic signal is it like noise?

Thanks soooo much for replying I am learning so many things today :slight_smile:
my “station” on amazon:

Your antenna is not good for satellite observation, a lot of station use VHF Turnstile antenna.

My antenna in first test made with my children :

Simply 1.5 mm² electrical wire.
8 wires of 1 meter folded at 75 / 25 cm

Top and bottom :
Wire it’s not connected to each other.

For center :
I made a loop with a piece of copper wire around the support where I soldered the red wires and another for the blue wires. The loops are spaced 5 mm, there is no contact between them,
connected the red wires to the center of the coax and the blue wires to the ground coax.

For a good mechanical resistance, I pierced top and bottom to get the wires into the support and I fixed with a glue gun

After test, i’ve fixed center with glue gun to avoid oxidation.
Aluminium or inox can be use instead of electrical wire for best kept in time.

5 meters above the ground

You can see https://wiki.satnogs.org/Antennas for other antenna

Configure station with HF Discone antenna.

2 Likes

so the red is in the middle and the blue is the coat?
I think I have a new project.
Thanks so much for your replies I am going to sleep now the school will be strong tomorrow and its already 23:35

@xampl3, your first observation, while “bad”, isn’t necessarily a good indication of your station, as that satellite has only a 3% success rate.

The NOAA 18 observation, however, is not “bad”. I can see some very faint closely spaced vertical lines from about 150s to 400s, on left-center portion of the waterfall. Here is a recent “good” observation that shows what a strong signal should look like: https://network.satnogs.org/observations/1041464/

I agree with @michel about your antenna, however. Even a simple “quarter wave ground plane” antenna will perform decently well compare to that little thing, and they are easy to build.

2 Likes

For vetting please check also this guide

First of all thanks for your reply.
Second I have already changed it to good :wink:
third would a tv antenna as an antenna also work?
just a standard directional antenna.
thanks

1 Like

Not really, no. A directional antenna that is fixed in position is only going to see very sporadic signals from satellites, and really only when the satellite happens to be in the direction the antenna is facing.

A vertical antenna is slightly better, as it is at least omnidirectional, but it will generally only perform best lower to the horizon, which is also when the satellite is further away.

Refer here for some known-good antennas for fixed-antenna ground stations: https://wiki.satnogs.org/Antennas

2 Likes

ok thats good to know thanks