It's time to upgrade the software of your stations, again (Dec 23, 2020)

Ok, this is weird. During “update”, I got this:

After this operation, 1186 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Abort.

Then it kicked me back to the shell prompt.

Oddly enough, on the second attempt, I used a capital “Y” and now it’s working. Has that prompt always been case sensitive? Or is something goofy happening? I can’t remember ever specifically using a capital Y to approve these types of installs.

This same thing happened on both my stations…

1 Like

this is really weird… even with “y” it worked fine here. Maybe a matter of country specific localization?

The capital Y (usually) denotes the default option (chosen if the user presses Return). So answering y or Y should not make a difference.

Thanks!
Updated my station, let see how it´s running tonight.
/Lars

2 Likes

It may be like a 2 keystroke acceptance?.. Your asked if you would like to use the disk space and the answer is that you have to purposefully capitalize the “y” making your answer take 2 keystrokes … “y” or “n” gets the same result and only the upper case “Y” gets a pass to proceed. The user would not accidentally accept. I’ve used this before in programs but as stated you did not require doing this, so this is only a guess of what may have been required.

No, it is not. I checked the source code for apt (which is printing this message). [Y/n] means yes is the default option. The corresponding question, but with no as default uses [y/N].

By running locale LC_MESSAGES in a terminal, you can see the regular expressions used for matching a yes and no answer. On a system using en_US.UTF-8, this is the result:

^[+1yY]
^[-0nN]

So it does not matter if you answer with uppercase or lowercase y. Answering the question with a plus sign (+) or the number 1 is also considered a positive answer.

1 Like

Awesome… Thanks for your work on looking into this. Happy New Years to the community.

1 Like

I forgot to apply to. Thanks for noting this!

1 Like