Howto: Meteor M2 weather satellite image decoding

@ve2dsk Yes but M2 has been experiencing axis stabilization anomalies for the last several days and is only transmitting in HRPT (1.7 GHz) and not LRPT (137 MHz).

Scott

2 Likes

Witch python section process create the “.s” file…??
I just update to new client v1.81
Redo all modif, but seem not creating any S file…
Any idea? Real

Hi Real, it has been a long time! I haven’t updated yet, and have no VHF station at this moment. So I didn’t test the new version yet. The .s file gets generated by the LRPT flowgraph. This is described in step 1 of the Howto. It should be in /tmp. Your screenshot shows the data dir where the images get moved to.

Can you take a look in /tmp. Be careful it gets cleared at reboot! You may need to run a fresh observation.

Edit: The LRPT flowgraph appears to be running as it provided a wide waterfall.

Best regards, Eelke.

Oh, now i remember the correct “S” file directory …
As you see, flowgraph generate the file but my problem is the post convert process…
My .s file seem not be treated Real

I maybe have a clue…
After satellite pass, I can manualy execute the cmd sudo python ./process_meteor.py
So something with post observation script, I believe…
Real

(only VIS proceed)

Hi Real,

It is difficult to guess what is wrong. Can you take a look at the log file, after an observation and post it here?

journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service -n 100

We should be able to see the error there and this should give a hint what goes wrong. I think you have got it almost working as all pieces work. Just not automatically yet.
Best regards, Eelke.

Hi Eelke

Wow…Synthax error wen I create directory name…!! /satnogs-Extrats/scripts (Cap E).

Thank for help… Real

3 Likes

Hi Real, I think it works again! Congrats!

https://network.satnogs.org/observations/6545699/#tab-data

Hi Eelke
Yes and…No…!

I put back Client v1.7 for this specific pass.

After correcting directory name in v1.8, got permission denied with medet_arm.

Is medet_arm should be satnogs:satnogs as owner and group…??

Real

Hi Real, you got me there! :smiley:

The access rights for the medet_arm file look OK. But also check if the satnogs user can access the folders. Can the satnogs user read from the folder /home/pi? And also from the subfolder /medet?

The satnogs user is different then the pi user. So it needs at least the right most r-x on the folders and files.

Is at the fact I put back medet_arm file, from archive, without recompiling (CMake from source) in new buster OS. Real

I think medet did work in an earlier test, when you ran it manually. So it should be OK. Can you take a look at the folders?

ls -l /home
ls -l /home/pi
ls -l /home/pi/medet

They all should have at least r-x at the right end. Then the satnogs user can access the medet_arm file.

You point me in the right direction Eelke
The error came from medet directory permission itself…(!)
Real

1 Like
ls -l /home/pi

Look like this now… Many Thanks Real

1 Like

Hi @bcsak

Did you need to change anything for the new Meteor M2-3 satellite to get it decoding?

@geoscan attended me to your beautiful observation:

https://network.satnogs.org/observations/7788561/

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @EelkeVisser and @geoscan

Unfortunately it won’t work out of the box with the previous scripts, however we left it unchanged temporary to have baudrate=72.0e3 with LRPT observations.

We have turned on I/Q recording and insert a simple script in the postobs which uses Davide Belloli’s demodulator and decoder codes. First we demodulate the I/Q file then pass it to the decoder and save the result with the appropriate naming in /tmp/.satnogs/data/

3 Likes

The full processing script looks like this:

ID="$1"
DATE="$2"

demod=/usr/local/bin/meteor_demod
decode=/usr/local/bin/meteor_decode

cp /tmp/iq.dat /tmp/${ID}.dat

${demod} --batch --quiet -O 8 -f 128 -s 144000 -m oqpsk --bps 16 /tmp/${ID}.dat --stdout | \
${decode} --batch --quiet --diff -a 65,65,64 -o /tmp/.satnogs/data/data_${ID}_${DATE}.png -

rm -f /tmp/${ID}.dat

4 Likes

That is cool (:
It should be possible to use the UDP sink for this then ?
in preobs, launching netcat to spit out the data to stdout, piping it to demod and in postobs kill it and launch the decoder.
Or implement udp input in the demod.

1 Like

Maybe yes! Or just piping the iq.dat using tail -f or something equivalent to the decoder when the pre-obs script is called.

The problem now is the output of the demod/decoder differs on a raspberrypi and on a normal x86/linux server while runing exactly the same demod|decode pipeline on the exactly same I/Q input. The latter (i mean normal x86/linux server) decodes more blocks from the image.

Can you explain which flowgraph you use to dump IQ data sampled at the right sample rate?