Howto: Meteor M2 weather satellite image decoding

Managed to decode data, but when I manually tested the process_meteor.py it failed when copying file to /tmp/.satnogs/data/complete/

pi@raspberrypi:~/satnogs-extras/scripts $ sudo python process_meteor.py
Waiting for 10 seconds before processing.
Attempting to process: /tmp/data_4224714_2021-06-07T17-18-54.s
Total:        284.441986
Processing:   46.032661
Correlation:  18.766024
Viterbi:      203.864761
ECC:          15.733690
Remainder:    0.044825
Packets:      5330 / 5549
Elapsed time: 00:12:48.232
convert-im6.q16: length and filesize do not match `/tmp/meteor_image_temp_vis.bmp' @ warning/bmp.c/ReadBMPImage/839.
Total:        62.771225
Processing:   62.749352
Correlation:  0.000000
Viterbi:      0.000000
ECC:          0.000000
Remainder:    0.021868
Packets:      5330 / 5330
Elapsed time: 00:12:48.232
convert-im6.q16: length and filesize do not match `/tmp/meteor_image_temp_ir.bmp' @ warning/bmp.c/ReadBMPImage/839.
VIS processing successful!
IR processing successful!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_meteor.py", line 135, in <module>
    shutil.move(_file, RAW_DESTINATION_DIR + os.path.basename(_file))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 325, in move
    copy2(src, real_dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 153, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 97, in copyfile
    with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/.satnogs/data/complete/data_4224714_2021-06-07T17-18-54.s'

Is it simply due to observation being performed over an hour ago? Or is it something that should be fixed?

Itā€™s this observation: https://network.satnogs.org/observations/4224714/

EDIT: Ok, everything works - thanks @EelkeVisser https://network.satnogs.org/observations/4229549

1 Like

I found that adding:

if not os.path.isdir(RAW_DESTINATION_DIR):
    os.makedirs(RAW_DESTINATION_DIR)

before

shutil.move(_file, RAW_DESTINATION_DIR + os.path.basename(_file))

Makes the code a little more robust if there was reboot that cleared the /tmp

@EelkeVisser Iā€™ve got one issue - thermal image is still all black despite adding:

if suffix == "_ir":
        subprocess.call([CONVERT_PATH, "-negate", "-linear-stretch", "1x1%", raw_image_path, result_image])

Any ideas where to start looking to determine the reason?

Hi Michal,

Yes, your code improvement makes sense if you want keep the files. But the tmp folder is in memory as far as I know. Could get full, so I decided to remove them. See step 5 of the instruction.

To solve the ir image problem you donā€™t need to look at the computer monitor, but need to look outside during the observation. :slight_smile: If it is light outside, the ir channel is off and the image gets black. I assume it starts working again when the winter arrives in :poland:

1 Like

Makes perfect sense, Iā€™m still in awe how beautiful those pictures are. One thing is when I add the process_meteor.py script as post observation script something seems off and after decodes I get a long series of failed observations afterwards where no products were uploaded - is this connected to what you mentioned that itā€™s getting full?

I just done this and it worked right out the box. Thanks for nice guide. Will add the tweaking later.
Thanks for now.
73 Geoge

1 Like

After the upgrade we need to edit the flowgraphs.py again.

73 George

1 Like

Hi,
Updating from client version 1.4 to 1.6.
re editing flowgraps.py but no luck on my station.

No more .s file generated

• No change in postob.sh
  • No change in advance post observation menu

Is other updated files could be my problemā€¦?

VE2DSK

Hi, in the update from 1.4 to 1.5 there was new functionality introdced in Satnogs that caused trouble. I had updated step 1 of the howto to include some arguments to satnogs_lrpt_demod.py. So please check this file against the instructions of step 1. Start at: sudo nano satnogs_lrpt_demod.pyā€¦

And it is good that you have already updated flowgraps.py. I think there are no changes needed in postob.sh or the menu.

Good luck, best regards, Eelke.

Need help since the upgrade to 1.6
I have a syntax error and i canā€™t tell why so please see pictures of flowgraphs.py and the dump/log file and help a guy out whoā€™s stuck please.

Thanks Karl.

Missing one bracket

VE2SDSK

1 Like

Thank you.
I just got through looking at my second stations file and noticed my mistake. Iā€™ve now added the } to the file and shes started back up.

Best 73
Karl.

Hi All.

So yet another issue. while observing the Meteor-M2 pass i see no waterfall data and the log file shows as in the picture below. This time Iā€™ve looked at both stations i have running and they both look the same so please see the attached picture and if you can shed some light on my issue with that would be great.

I have noticed that the def argument_parser() : is not all the way to the left of the screen on the file could this be it ? and how important is the spacing.

Well it took a while but itā€™s finally fixed and Iā€™ve got the first successful observation, Time to schedule some more.
Thanks for all the help.

https://network.satnogs.org/observations/4712852/

1 Like

It is very important! Python uses the spacing to determine which lines belong to each other. Other programming languages are more dependent on brackets or key words, and not to spaces.

Good job, fixing it! :smiley:

1 Like

This line start with no spaceā€¦

Did those two mods work for yours two stationsā€¦?
Mine still no .s captureā€¦ VE2DSK

Yes the start looks just like yours and end looks like the second picture above.
Itā€™s back to working.

One other thing i had to do was edit the complete_output_path in the satnogs-setup options as this is the only way i could get the complete folder to stop deleting itā€™s self on reboot or restart.

Regards
Karl.

Hi Elke and allā€¦
what is needed to be done to get the LRPT-demod in to ā€œSATNOGS-clientā€?
So we do not have to do allthis when the next upgrade comes along.

Best 73
George

1 Like

I think the issue is that we use post processing after the observation. I read somewhere (where?) that this is undesirable, as it might interfere with the next observation.
There is some work tracked in this item LRPT Decoder (#122) Ā· Issues Ā· librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / gr-satnogs Ā· GitLab to include it. It seems ā€˜pausedā€™, and I donā€™t know the status.

1 Like

Running fine here !
A lot of thankā€™s for your howto.

https://network.satnogs.org/observations/5354518/

2 Likes

Hi runahue
also running on my station (client v1.6) for many monthsā€¦
Not working since v1.7 updateā€¦
ve2dsk

Is METEOR M2 still aliveā€¦?
No more waterfall printā€¦ ve2dsk
https://network.satnogs.org/observations/5910591/