Auto-scheduler unable to install

I have tried to install auto-sheduler on my ID-724 RPi using these instruction.

I didn’t get very far. I updated and installed the dependencies then…

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ source env/bin/activate
(env) pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pip install -r requirements.txt
ERROR: Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘requirements.txt’
(env) pi@raspberrypi:~ $

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/env# ls
bin include lib share

The env directory exists but there is no requirements.txt file
The RPi is runing on buster and has been upgraded to the latest 1.3.1 client

The next step would be:- Copy the env-dist file to .env and set your SatNOGS Network API token.

Copy from where? Copy to .env which is a hidden file so that would mean copy as root?

Looks like I’m in over my head again and need some help please.

Hi Bob, I had / have the same problem as you,

I’m not a computer guy, and I don’t know why but the second time I’ve tried to install the Auto-scheduler, the ‘requirement.txt’ error did not appear.

Then my understanding is that we need to copy the content from an installed file into a file which don’t have any name ( .env) (it could have been ‘blablabla.env’ if i’m not wrong), so we need to : cp env-dist .env

Then if you open this file (nano .env) you will see that this is a config file which take your API, you will then have the possibilities to put your API into this file, in the right place

This file looks like that :

# Copy this file to .env and complete the information needed

# Your SatNOGS network API token

NETWORK_API_TOKEN = ''

And I’ve done a small test, if you try to copy env-dist into another file like ‘test.env’ it will do exactly the same (cp env-dist test.env)

But then after doing all this things I still had another error trying to run the python file, and at this step due to my poor skills, I gave up until I find more information

I really hope one day to be able to install this program, I spend far too much time on my computer scheduling observations.

I,m in trouble again this time with installing python-satellitetle.
I have downloaded and extracted to:-
bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/python-satellitetle-master$

From here I expected to find a readme file to guide me through to the mkdir build, cd build then cmake, make and sudo make install process but I can find none of this and am too chicken to proceed.
Some guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

I have a feeling that the auto-scheduler install may get a bit further once it can find python-satellitetle. I got stuck at pip install -r requirements.txt.
I have installed pip with sudo apt-get install pip.
Thanks again for you help.

What is the terminal output when you enter the command pip install -r requirements.txt?

Be aware that the satnogs-auto-scheduler is using python3, so you may have to use pip3 install -r requirements.txt.

1 Like

Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘requirements.txt’

I think I saw a requrements.txt file in the extracted pytho-satellitetle directory which I’m having “how to compile” questions.

Looks like I need to install python 3 first as I have only 2.7.17 I’ll fix this first and try again.
Thanks for your response & help.

pip3 install -r requirements.txt . gave me
Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'requirements.txt.

bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~$ pip3 --version
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (python 3.6)

Is this OK?

I think I saw a requrements.txt file in the extracted pytho-satellitetle directory which I’m having “how to compile” questions.

I expected to find a readme file to guide me through to the mkdir build, cd build then cmake, make and sudo make install process but I can find none of this

I think doing these two steps first will help:

git clone https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/satnogs-auto-scheduler.git
cd satnogs-auto-scheduler

Now you can run pip3 install -r requirements.txt

No need to manually download python-satellitetle

Thanks mfalkvidd, I followed your instructions which went well except for when I tried :-

bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$ pip3 install -r requirements.txt
I got this

Collecting ephem (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))
Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/fe/df/7bceaef11e9cc0a9a98930bf2d7a90c71058f49c446a4b2c7cd1ccf35c1b/ephem-3.7.7.1.tar.gz (745kB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 747kB 708kB/s
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’

----------------------------------------

Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-c3x76zw6/ephem/
bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$

I have posted this before but I’m still stuck. I’m following the instructions here.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualenv python3-virtualenv
virtualenv -p python3 env
source env/bin/activate OK so far

pip install -r requirements.txt here is where I get this error in red. I also tried with pip3, same error

ERROR: Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘requirements.txt’
I did some checking on my system.

(env) bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~$ pip --version
pip 20.1.1 from /home/bob/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)

(env) bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~$ pip3 --version
pip 20.1.1 from /home/bob/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)

I have downloaded and extracted python-satellitetle-master but could not figure out how to install this. I usually find a Readme file with the usual instructions i.e. mkdir build, cd build, cmake ./, make, sudo make install, sudo ldconfig. I could not find this in this case. I’m not a programmer but have been able to successfully build from source by carefully following posted instructions.
Thank you for your time. Bob vk2byf

This error says that the file requierments.txt is not available. Can you make sure that it exists in the root directory of the repo you have cloned/downloaded?

Two more notes:

1. Why not using/clone/download the official repo at librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-auto-scheduler · GitLab?
  2. I can see that python-satellitetle package is in the requirements.txt at Files · master · librespacefoundation / SatNOGS / satnogs-auto-scheduler · GitLab why do you try to install it manually?

I haven’t watched fully your attempts, have you downloaded/cloned the repo first? Before the rest of the commands in the README.md you will need to get the code by running:

git clone https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/satnogs-auto-scheduler.git

In case that this fail, it will be probably because you haven’t installed git, in this case run sudo apt-get install git.

Maybe someone can merge this thread with Auto-scheduler install and Auto-scheduler unable to install so we have all information on @vk2byf problems with the auto scheduler in one thread?

fredy to the rescue, thank you fredy.

This suggestion 1 & 2, did not work for me probably because I have stuffed it up by doing it the other/wrong way

doing this
sudo apt-get update
pip install -r requirements.txt

1. Why not using/clone/download the official repo at https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/satnogs-auto-scheduler ?
  2. I can see that python-satellitetle package is in the requirements.txt at https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/satnogs-auto-scheduler/-/blob/master/requirements.txt#L2 why do you try to install it manually?

I deleted the env directory and the satnogs-auto-scheduler directory so now
this git clone https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/satnogs/satnogs-auto-scheduler.git…worked and created a new ~/satnogs-auto-scheduler/ directory with the requirements.txt file in it … Now what? Now do I do this?
sudo apt-get update
pip install -r requirements.txt

Thanks again for your time fredy
73 Bob

Thanks mfalkvidd. I already had the satnogs-auto-scheduler directory suggested by fredy. to I tried your next step.

bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$ pip3 install -r requirements.txt
Collecting ephem (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/fe/df/7bceaef11e9cc0a9a98930bf2d7a90c71058f49c446a4b2c7cd1ccf35c1b/ephem-3.7.7.1.tar.gz
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’

----------------------------------------

Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-8gp8laar/ephem/

Something is still missing.
thanks, Bob

Literally the first result on google to your error message:

Run: sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools and then try again…

2 Likes

Hi Mark, thanks for trying to help
I followed your suggestion " Run: sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools and then try again" from the ~/satnogs-auto-scheduler directory and got python3-setuptools (39.0.1-2)
then I ran
~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$ pip3 install -r requirements.txt …this produced a lot of output in white but also many errors like
Failed building wheel for ephem
Failed building wheel for python-decouple
Failed building wheel for logbook
Command “/usr/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-build-oash7ytr/ephem/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-9hymduzm-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --user --prefix=” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-oash7ytr/ephem/

Should I be in the env directory?

Do these instructions form https://gitlab.com/ansgarschmidt/satnogs-auto-scheduler still apply?
source env/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt…this one should be pip3 install -r requirements.txt Yes?

I’m clearly way out of my comfort zone here but I have to give this 70 year old brain some work to keep dementia away.
73 Bob

All the commands bellow should be outside the env directory, and inside the root directory of the cloned repo.

Yes they still apply.

If you have ran this one, you don’t need to re-run it as virtualenv is installed in your system. virtualenv creates a virtual environment where the needed python libraries will be installed, instead of install them in your system.

If you already have the env directory then I suggest you remove it to have a clean virtual environment. To remove it, go one directory up from env and run rm -rf env. After that run the command above, this command will create a python 3 virtual environment.

This one, activates this virtual environment. Now, it is activated and any python command you ran is inside this python 3 virtual environment.

Just to be sure you have the latest versions inside your virtual environment, please run also this command: pip install -U pip setuptools wheel

As you are inside the python 3 virtual environment, pip command will run the python 3 pip, so no need for pip3.

If it fails again, please post the whole logs, we may miss something. To post them with the readable format, copy paste them inside here and select them all and then hit the </> button at the top. This will keep the format and will make the content more readable.

You did very well, in each step there is progress, so sooner or later you’ll make it to install and use it. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you fredy for your help and explanation, how, why and where.
Now it makes more sense to me and it all installed as per your instructions without any red type so no errors so far.

I’m assuming now it should work after I do a bit more reading to learn how to use auto-scheduler.

Thanks also to all the others who jumped in to help me.
I’ll report back later when I have learned how to use auto-scheduler.

Yohan_Handji

I got this far but I did it all using the Linux Mint Mate GUI I got the AAPI into the /satnogs-auto-scheduler/env folder I left the ’ ’ either side of the API token
My problem is no is the test run failed can’t find the schedule_single_station.py command even though I can clearly see this command in the /satnogs-auto-scheduler/ directory.
fredy has been helping me. If you follow our thread it may help you.

fredy

Configuration
I found an anv-dist file and copied it to /satnogs-auto-scheduler/env directory. Should that have been .env, a hidden directory? There is no .env directory. I looked for it with sudo su.
I left the ’ ’ either side of my API token.There appears to be a space either side of the = sign. should that be removed?

My problem is now is the test run failed
bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$ schedule_single_station.py -s 568 -n
schedule_single_station.py: command not found
It can’t find the satnogs-auto-scheduler.py even though I can clearly see this in the /satnogs-auto-scheduler/ directory in green.

bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$ ls
auto_scheduler LICENSE satnogs_client.py tests
cache.py pycache schedule_single_station.py tox.ini
CONTRIBUTING.md README.md settings.py utils.py
env requirements.txt setup.cfg
bob@bob-MD34045-2521:~/satnogs-auto-scheduler$

is it possible this schedule_single_station.py and the path to python3 are in the wrong directory?

Thanks for helping.