About vetting and other scheduling matters

@ Dimitris Papadeas: Regarding many observations: It appears that you have forgotten to vet your observations @ OZ6BL. Please do so at the earliest convenience.
73, Bent/OZ6BL

Thanks
73, Bent/OZ6BL

Hey @oz6bl,

Just in case you missed that, you can send messages like that with a private message to @BOCTOK-1 by clicking at your profile image at the top right and then on the pop up menu by clicking on the envelope. On the new page you will find a “New Message” button.

As this message is public, I would like to take the opportunity to add some comments and info about vetting.

In the whole process of automating observations (scheduling one, performing it, demoding/decoding data, making graphs from data etc), the part of vetting is one of the less automated right now.

Sometimes vetting is easy but some other times it takes more time in order to verify things. Also there are cases that vetting is not done correctly for several reasons. This means that we need a better automation and/or more people able to vet.

The current status is that an observation can be vetted from the observer and the station owner. We all spend our spare time in this project so we need to be patient on how fast vetting is done, in any way unvetted observation is not something bad. :slight_smile:

Two changes are going to be implemented soon, the one is the new permission scheme, that will allow a station owner to vet observations on all stations and not only on stations that owns. The other change is to stop auto-vetting in some modes, like CW, that don’t give results that we can be easily verified. That will improve a little the whole vetting process.

For the future, there is still an open discussion on automating vetting through machine learning and/or participate in citizen science communities, allowing many people, with simple instructions, to vet and verify observations.

Any feedback or steps to the above two directions is more than welcome. :slight_smile:

@oz6bl, thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk about the vetting status!

1 Like

Hi Fredy,
Thanks for pointing me to the message area of this site. I had completely forgotten about it, but now I have taken the full tour with the friendly robot as my guide. I must say that is a very clever way od teaching how to use the editor. :clap:
I have also read your comments on vetting carefully and I can now see the problems with the present state of things.
You must have special powers since you can schedule passes on my station even though I have put it in test mode, primarily to avoid being overwhelmed by swarms of observations being scheduled.
Are you testing a decoder to SSTV from ISS? I can see that the ‘good’ data are not always on the zero frequency. Pure guesswork on my part, of course.
Best 73 de Bent/OZ6BL

Indeed as an admin I have the ability to schedule on testing stations. I use this special power only if it is asked from the owner or in special events (ARISS Contacts and SSTV Events, new deployments and requests from satellite teams that searching their satellites etc). In any case If there is any issue please let me know.

Until now the best way to inform people on how to use your station, is the description of the station. There you can describe satellites that you would like to observe and any other requests around the use, like “due to limited bandwidth please limit scheduling to a minimum”.

We are working, and it is already implemented in dev environment, on a utilization factor field, that owner will be able to set for the stations. Also there are plans for adding a way to inform network when a station will be unavailable, this is something I was going to implement, however other things with bigger priorities got in the way.

There is an announced SSTV event, you can find more details at ARISS-SSTV images: Announcing ARISS/NOTA Slow Scan TV Event and there was one the previous week of which I’ve just posted the results

About the “good” data for signals that are not centered (zero frequency), we vet these as good as there is signal from the satellite, even if the data are not decodable. You can read more about vetting in the vetting guide.

In any case not centered signal, or known also as drifted, can have two causes. The one is that the sdr device due to several reasons is not able to use the right frequency, this is why there is a setting in the satnogs-client which allows users to set ppm which corrects this error. More details on that are available at this guide.

The second cause is that the satellite itself transmits in a drifted frequency, again due to several reasons. This should be calculated carefully and be added into the db entry of the satellite. Until now we added a new transmitter for each drift, however we are on transition to use one transmitter and add there its drift. Supporting this in client, is one of the updates that will be in the client’s next release the next week.

PS I’m going to change the title of the topic to be more useful and accurate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Fredy
I have read your notes about vetting with great interest and I’ll be more careful in the future when I vet.
As to ISS: I can see that you have scheduled all 5 available passes today on my station (we don’t se much to ISS up here north :frowning:) and I have myself scheduled the passes for tomorrow. It will be exciting to see what gets out of the event.
Out of curiosity: Would it be possible to combine all observations for a particular orbit so that you could create a WOD-like recording of ISS?

1 Like

There was an issue with ISS transmissions, so they stopped the event temporarily to find the issue and fix it.

Unfortunately there isn’t an automatic way to combine observations.