ft897: cache timed out (988 ms)
ft897: cache timed out (976 ms)
ft897: requested freq = 145959671.000000 Hz
ft897: cache invalid
ft897: cache timed out (997 ms)
ft897: cache timed out (928 ms)
ft897: requested freq = 145959672.000000 Hz
ft897: cache invalid

It sets that receive frequency (VFO A) but not the transmit frequency (VFO B).
Here’s my daemon startup script:
#Start Rig Control
rigctld -m 123 -r /dev/tty.usbserial-AL034145 --set-conf=serial_speed=38400 -vvvv &

Suggestions?

Herb

What is your radio type in gpredict?

The 817/857/897 radios are only suitable for receiving because we can only set the other VFO by momentarily changing it and can not set the frequency during transmit. The dedicated radio types are a compromise that provides two different workarounds (see the user manual).

1 Like

I have an 897D.

So i have to manually change the uplink frequency by hand? I realize that you cannot update the radio when it is in transmit mode, but why can you not update the VFO-A and VFO-B during receive?

Ok, I guess my reply wasn’t very clear, so let me try to rephrase it.

We can update both VFOs during receive but only by toggling between the two. That is why we have the two special radio types in the gpredict configuration dialog. I don’t remember the exact details because it was coded very long time ago, but I’m pretty sure the user manual describes both types and what the difference is between the two (for one of them you need to use the computer keyboard for PTT).

My question remains: What kind of radio type did you select in the gpredict configuration?

I mean here:

Yes, that is what I have as well. As for the VFO Up/Down - it won’t let me select anything

Ok, that looks correct.

There is an open issue that I did not have time to look into yet:

OK, so reading the issue, I have a comment and several questions.

First, when I engage the radio (GPredict, radio engage), I never see the uplink VFO updated (either Hamlib commands or visually on the radio itself).

When I do the macport command, I cannot force it to download the latest Hamlib
mine is showing:
rigctl, Hamlib 3.0.1

Copyright © 2000-2012 Stephane Fillod
Copyright © 2000-2003 Frank Singleton
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

IS there a way to for it to download the 3.2?

And for the question:

I see in the issue where they are talking about the space bar to put radio in/out of transmit mode - I am on a Mac and the space bar activates the last button that the mouse selected (for example, the down arrow to get to the rig control) or such. Is the space bar supposed to switch VFOs and then put it in transmit mode? So I don’t use the PTT on the mic?

I have no idea about macports sorry.

Spacebar is set up as a gpredict shortcut to toggle PTT through CAT command. In this mode you don’t use PTT on the mic. I guess the shortcut it can be overridden by the desktop environment.

By the way, if the future please make sure to mention your operating system in the first post. Gpredict is a linux application and both windows and mac support is not very well tested, not by me anyway.