Will SatNOGS run well in a Raspberry Pi emulator running on a PC?

At our humble Radio Club (LU1DSO) we have a few PCs but no money to buy a Raspberry Pi. Will SatNOGS run well in a Raspberry Pi emulator running on a PC? What are the system requirements to start with a basic station?

Thanks
Regards

Marcelo
LW3EOV
M6BGG

Satnogs can run perfectly fine on a normal PC :slight_smile: With out an emulator.

As long as that machine is running linux it should work with minimal problems. (I run a x86_64 AMD based station.)

1 Like

Here are the instructions to install SatNOGS on a Debian Linux machine running the latest Ansible

Thanks for your replies. There is an ICOM 746 rig (multimode HF and VHF transceiver) at our club so we plan to use that one to start with as I can see it is one of the supported radios by Hamlib. What is needed to control on the radio? (frequency? af gain?) Where can I find the circuit of the interface needed? (I suppose at least a cable is needed to connect the transceiver to the PC, or a cable + some electronic components). To start I plan to construct a turnstile antenna so no rotor will be used and hopefully I won’t need the LNA. Many thanks. Marcelo

In one of the initial evaluations I did I was able to run SatNOGS under Raspberry Pi Desktop (X86) running under Windows 10 + VirtualBox; the ARM architecture itself was booted with a Raspian running QEMU. It was kind of slow, but it works. I believe that running QEMU directly on Windows would improve drastically the performance. I can not imagine anything on the USER network setup of QEMU preventing SatNOGS to work.
Having said all of that you need to try, configure and expend some time optimizing the setup; but chances are good that it will work. Not sure how to plug a regular receiver or how to control it as my configuration is using a RTL-SDR dongle.
Still a previous answer might be a less complicated approach, just install Linux in your old PC and it will work.

73 de Pedro, LU7DID
PS: You can contact me in Spanish if you wish at lu7did@gmail.com