Using the SDRPlay (RSP2) with RPI-3 (or 4) and SatNogs

I’m a new user of SatNogs, still testing. I want to replace the cheap NooElec SDR dongle for a more performing one (RSP2).
As said briefly in the wiki, we have to download and install the driver from the SDRPlay WEB services to the RPI in order to use one of their RSPx dongle.
Can some one explain me how to do so : detailed series of instructions since I’m little ‘rusted’ with linux commands.
Such informations worth certainly to be added to the wiki.
Many thanks.
Jacques, va2em

3 Likes

Add me to the list of users wanting instructions on how to do this. I’ve tried adding the sdrplay drivers to the Satnogs Rpi image and adding the Satnogs client to the SDRPlay Rpi image. Neither path worked. The RTL-SDR dongle I have just isn’t up to the job compared to my other SDR’s (FuncubePro+ in particular).

I’ve been copying telemetry daily from the Huskysat using the Foxtelem software in windows with my Funcube. The same antenna system with the RTL-SDR on Satnogs shows almost nothing getting decoded.

Please add me also to the list of potential SDRPlay users.
I observe the satellites with RSP2 (SDRPlay) and SDRuno a very nice program, and they are received much better than what I can get with genuine RTL-SDRs.

2 Likes

Same here…Another user waiting for change to my RSP1

Guide here: https://gist.github.com/darksidelemm/18f984e414f772fe69a753db3a4e4756

For the RSP1A this is a working configuration:
“satnogs_antenna”: “RX”,
“satnogs_rf_gain”: “34”,
“satnogs_rx_bandwidth”: “600e3”,
“satnogs_rx_samp_rate”: “2e6”,
“satnogs_soapy_rx_device”: “driver=sdrplay”,

Requires more memory than a 1 GByte RPi 3B. A 4 GByte RPi 4B works ok.

I’m surprised using the antenna of “RX” works.

Could you post the output of SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=sdrplay" so we can see what the antenna names are?

73
Mark VK5QI

pi@satnogs2:~ $ SoapySDRUtil --probe=“driver=sdrplay”

######################################################
##     Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library     ##
######################################################

Probe device driver=sdrplay
[INFO] devIdx: 0
[INFO] hwVer: 255

----------------------------------------------------
-- Device identification
----------------------------------------------------
  driver=SDRplay
  hardware=190314C196
  sdrplay_api_api_version=0.000000
  sdrplay_api_hw_version=255

----------------------------------------------------
-- Peripheral summary
----------------------------------------------------
  Channels: 1 Rx, 0 Tx
  Timestamps: NO
  Other Settings:
     * RF Gain Select - RF Gain Select
       [key=rfgain_sel, default=4, type=string, options=(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)]
     * IQ Correction - IQ Correction Control
       [key=iqcorr_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]
     * AGC Setpoint - AGC Setpoint (dBfs)
       [key=agc_setpoint, default=-30, type=int, range=[-60, 0]]
     * BiasT Enable - BiasT Control
       [key=biasT_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]
     * RfNotch Enable - RF Notch Filter Control
       [key=rfnotch_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]
     * DabNotch Enable - DAB Notch Filter Control
       [key=dabnotch_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]

----------------------------------------------------
-- RX Channel 0
----------------------------------------------------
  Full-duplex: YES
  Supports AGC: YES
  Stream formats: CS16, CF32
  Native format: CS16 [full-scale=32767]
  Antennas: RX
  Corrections: DC removal
  Full gain range: [0, 48] dB
    IFGR gain range: [20, 59] dB
    RFGR gain range: [0, 9] dB
  Full freq range: [0.001, 2000] MHz
    RF freq range: [0.001, 2000] MHz
    CORR freq range:  MHz
  Sample rates: 0.0625, 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 MSps
  Filter bandwidths: 0.2, 0.3, 0.6, 1.536, 5, 6, 7, 8 MHz

I noticed that the latest logs (journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service) not only complain about wrong values but also list the valid ones.

Fred Jan PE1MET

I guess there’s been an update to the client!

OK, I didn’t realise the RSP1A only had one antenna port! That would explain it :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d be interested if other SDRPlay users with different models could post their output, so we can build up a list of valid antenna options.

This are the versions in my installation:
SDRplay_RSP_API-ARM32-3.07.2.run
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.7/libsdrPlaySupport.so (0.3.0-3381015)

The API documentation at https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_API_Specification_v3.06.pdf doesn’t have antenna names, just enumerations, so they should be in the SoapySDR source. (Found them in Settings.cpp).