Updated "axis-side" part

Hello! I just finish an addition (literally a subtraction) to the axis side part and after check it by printing it, is ok for release. Practically the change is just four pockets for M4 nuts to make the screws holding axis sides and the box together not to slipping in the plastic. The updated files are at the github repo. (direct link to stl file).

Hey @Paul_NA8E ! Can you update your imperial fork to account for this change? Bloominglabs.org is building a station and need this addition :slight_smile: Thanks!

@dosman printed a set off of Paul’s fork… The bushings and gears for the main post and arms are a little too small for a 1" imperial PVC. The parts seem to be sized for 1.25" when 1" PVC has an OD of 1.315"

Quick workaround is that they do fit a 1.25" wooden dowell… Wood isn’t going to do well in weather without some special treatment though…

The OD dimensions at the link match the sizes I have on hand (1/2 thru 1 1/4) within ± 5mil from a local Menards. I’d expect the other sizes match also.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-dimensions-d_795.html

Is FreeCAD the preferred source format for the 3D parts? The imperial-land people can coordinate a branch for the modified sizes and maybe designate one of us to draw/mod the relevant parts. @jwawak is our 3D dude at Valpo.

I’ve printed a few of the “imperial” parts before finding this thread, and the openings are too small for my pipe. I have no experience with CAD work, but can I just load the STL into a program, change a value, and be set? Or is there more involved than that? Is there a reason the imperial parts are sized the way they are? Should I be using thinner walled pipe?

So the imperial parts are sized for a literal 1 1/4" rod which is not how PVC is sized unfortunately. So 1 1/4" PVC pipe has a larger OD when adding in the wall thickness. I’ve been using 1 1/4" wood dowel rods which fits correctly. You might also be able use EMT conduit though as that in theory should be a “tube” and is sized by it’s OD.

Lastly, if you use wood, you just need to re-design how the vertical rod terminates into the horizontal gear box since you can’t insert the azimuth axis pillar into the vertical pipe. You just need to drill a centered hole .5" deep in the vertical dowel rod and insert a ~1" long by 5/16" steel rod which can fit into the bearing center. I just cut a piece off of a 5/16" rod from a scrap printer.

I’m thinking there is a set of parts resized for actual imperial PVC size floating around, but I can’t seem to find them at the moment.

Thanks for that information. I’m not really interested in using wood so I’ve downloaded FreeCAD and the fcstd files of the offending parts. Hopefully I can figure out how to enlarge the holes without too much hassle.

I’ve converted most of the parts to fit imperial PVC (beyond Paul’s adjustments which seemed to be too small for the OD of 1" PVC).

I need to organize and upload them, give me a day or two.

Hi Manthos.

I’m new in the forum but we are going to try to build 2 or 3 ground stations here at Tenerife in the Canary Islands.
We have forked your github but i’ve noticed that the axis-side stl that is uploaded there is not the same that is represented in your picture.
I’ve readed that you are moving towards the version 3 of the model but as we have just the first week of June to build them we must shot for V2.
Where can I download the file of the model?

Thanks in advance.

Goyo.

Sorry, I was looking in the master branch and I should look con V2 branch. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Exactly! There is a commit tagged with corresponding number for each version. Master branch hold most up to date and development files.

@manthos Do you think the rest of the v3 files would be ready for @goyoregalado in time? The parts seemed good enough in Dayton. :smile: v3 is quite an improvement over v2.

That said, I built v2 and it works fine - I just haven’t trusted it out in the weather yet to be a “permanent” station.

@cshields @goyoregalado all printed parts I think that are ready. The only think that needs work is the new electronics, for the dc motors and definitely the weather proofing. You can built the V3 with V2 electronics and stepper drivers (dc motors have a lot more torque) but you need to wait or find a solution for the cover. If you decide to built V3 and you need help with documentation (is not ready yet) or anything else you can contact me or @azisi :smile: