University of California, Irvine Build

Hi!

I am a student at the University of California, Irvine and I have been working on a CubeSat for the school. I had some free time so I decided to build a SatNOGS ground station. It is almost ready, just a waterproof box for the SDR and waterproofing the main box will be needed as well as some fixes on the antenna.

After some work, I was able to get the 0.3 software working on Raspian, and it is currently on the dev network for testing. A lot of changes were made to the default parts to allow for imperial size tubing and components.

6 Likes

This is awesome! A good part of the satnogs team are at the Dayton Hamvention this weekend so I will have to reply with more later but this was too cool not to chime in right away. Good job!! raspbian and gr-satnogs might be a challenge so let us know if it is not working properly.

Cheers!

I’m going to answer my own question and say that you have gr-satnogs working just fine based on the audio in this observation (looks just how the cw script should!)

https://network-dev.satnogs.org/observations/1658/

Thank You!

The hardest part of getting gr-satnogs to work was getting a gnuradio package newer than 3.7.7 installed since the default repository only has 3.7.5. I ran into a slight issue a few hours ago where the raspberry pi got stuck in a bootloop, but the satnogs logs didn’t have any info on it so it might have been caused by something else.

I’ll agree with @cshields you station looks awesome!

About the rasbian and gnuradio, did you compiled and installed the newest version?

I think that rasbian testing has 3.7.10v of gnuradio in their repository.

I was able to install 3.7.10 from the Jessie backports repository.

1 Like

Cool! gr-satnogs is really the only catch with raspbian… satnogs-client should run just fine (I use ubuntu when developing, personally)

1 Like