Ubuntu 20.04 SatNOGS Guide - Ready for testing

Hi everyone,

After extended time to complete what is a relatively small amount of documentation, I’ve finished adding the Ubuntu SatNOGS Guide to the wiki.

Ubuntu 20.04 SatNOGS Guide

Due to the delayed timeframe some errors had crept into the process over the updates, but these have now been fixed.

Anyone who’s keen to test it, please give it a run-through and let me know how if any changes are required.

It works on PC/Laptop, as well as a Virtual Machine.

The aim is obviously to help those with some entry-level Linux experience get up and running. I’m about to have it tested by my son - so we’ll see how it goes. Any errors are now likely ones I have made in documentation - I’ve otherwise found the process to be consistent and reliable.

I’ve also included a BASH script to enable easy (lazy) setup of SatNOGS monitor. Many new folk will want to see their machine at work visually.

Shout-out to Jan pe0sat for the hours spent on this, and for fielding my many questions.

*Note - This is for Ubuntu 20.04. I’m about to update for 22.04 but it does not work on the new version at this time.

3 Likes

This is a great help. Thanks for the hard work. I have a problem using an orangepizero2 with 1 gb. ubuntu 20.04.5 lts server. Please take a look.

I got to this point
git clone librespacefoundation / gr-soapy · GitLab
cd gr-soapy
mkdir build
cd build
cmake …

And got this error:
orangepi@satnogvhf:~/gr-soapy/build$ cmake …
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.4.0
– The C compiler identification is GNU 9.4.0
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting CXX compile features
– Detecting CXX compile features - done
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting C compile features
– Detecting C compile features - done
– Build type not specified: defaulting to release.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:92 (find_package):
By not providing “FindSoapySDR.cmake” in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by “SoapySDR”,
but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by “SoapySDR” with any
of the following names:

SoapySDRConfig.cmake
soapysdr-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of “SoapySDR” to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
“SoapySDR_DIR” to a directory containing one of the above files. If
“SoapySDR” provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed.

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.

I found my problem. Please disregard my previous email.

Ken

cmake … did not work.
This did
cmake …/CMakeLists.txt

It looks ok but there is this message:
Could NOT find Doxygen (missing: DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)

In the soapy build step there is also a problem with cmake two dots. I got it to run, but there was this message in the build
After running cmake (previous email only two dots) the build directory is empty so the next command “make” cannot find the Makefile. I cd … and then ran make

Make gave these warnings:
Scanning dependencies of target soapy_swig
[ 50%] Building CXX object swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx.o
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx: In function ‘PyTypeObject* SwigPyObject_TypeOnce()’:
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:1770:5: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_vectorcall’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
1770 | };
| ^
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:1770:5: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_print’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx: In function ‘PyTypeObject* SwigPyPacked_TypeOnce()’:
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:1931:5: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_vectorcall’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
1931 | };
| ^
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:1931:5: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_print’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx: In function ‘PyTypeObject* swig_varlink_type()’:
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:16883:7: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_vectorcall’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
16883 | };
| ^
/home/orangepi/gr-soapy/swig/CMakeFiles/soapy_swig.dir/soapy_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx:16883:7: warning: missing initializer for member ‘_typeobject::tp_print’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

From the flowgraph make I get this

Load Error: /home/orangepi/satnogs-flowgraphs/generic/afsk1200_ax25.grc: Flowgraph invalid
Compilation error
make[2]: *** [generic/CMakeFiles/afsk1200_ax25.dir/build.make:61: generic/satnogs_afsk1200_ax25.py] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:165: generic/CMakeFiles/afsk1200_ax25.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

In the step pip install satnogs-client I go this
WARNING: The script normalizer is installed in ‘/var/lib/satnogs/.local/bin’ which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.
WARNING: The scripts f2py, f2py3 and f2py3.8 are installed in ‘/var/lib/satnogs/.local/bin’ which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.
WARNING: The scripts fonttools, pyftmerge, pyftsubset and ttx are installed in ‘/var/lib/satnogs/.local/bin’ which is not on PATH.
WARNING: The script dotenv is installed in ‘/var/lib/satnogs/.local/bin’ which is not on PATH.
WARNING: The script satnogs-client is installed in ‘/var/lib/satnogs/.local/bin’ which is not on PATH.

And finnally the installation of the monitor for this processor
Allwinner H616, Quad core Cortex-A53 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
dpkg: error processing archive satnogs-monitor_0.4.1_amd64.deb (–install):
package architecture (amd64) does not match system (arm64)
Errors were encountered while processing:
satnogs-monitor_0.4.1_amd64.deb

Looks like there is no hope for an orangepi
Hope my notes help
Ken