Trouble scheduling Observations and won't connect when I can schedule a Satellite Pass

I have had lots of trouble since this past Friday scheduling observations through the Dashboard. I first compiled the SatNOGS program last weekend for my RTL-SDR V3. It was working fine with the RTL-SDR V3 until I made changes to try and use my Airspy Mini last Sunday. I couldn’t et it to work so I tried to go back to the RTL-SDR and then the waterfall wouldn’t work. It may be just coincidental, but that is what happened when I tried to get the airspy running. I logged into the website today and somehow I was able to schedule only one Satellite pass. When I try to schedule a new satellite pass I get this message:

Any ideas?

Calculated Timeline

Satellite is always below horizon or no free observation time available on visible stations.

When I can schedule I get the following errors.

HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘network.satnogs.org’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/jobs/?ground_station=2090&lat=35.270367&lon=-106.6303&alt=1589 (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x724ce1d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution’))
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: File “/var/lib/satnogs/lib/python3.7/site-packages/apscheduler/executors/base.py”, line 125, in run_job
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: retval = job.func(*job.args, **job.kwargs)
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: File “/var/lib/satnogs/lib/python3.7/site-packages/satnogsclient/scheduler/tasks.py”, line 171, in get_jobs
Mar 20 22:47:03 satnog satnogs-client[359]: timeout=45)

Have you managed to solve the issue? I can see your station (#2090) having some successful observations the last hours.

About scheduling, I tried both ways (from station page -> calcualte future passes -> scheduling and observations/new page -> selecting satellite and station -> schedling) and work fine, could you describe the exact steps you follow and the exact values you used in order to get the “Satellite is always below horizon or no free observation time available on visible stations.” message?

This is the sequence of events that give the message:
Satellite is always below the horizon or or no free observation time is visible.

1. Enter the following in browser: https://network.satnogs.org/stations/2090/
  2. Click on Portait select Dashboard.
  3. Pick Satellite to observe ie. NOAA 9
  4. Click Calculate. This brings up the Calculated time: Satellite is always below the horizon or
    no free observation time is visible.

Now I think know why I was having the problem. One needs to set the End Time to 2 days in the
future before doing the calculation. Because without setting the future time to end the calculation
it is equal to the start time and is just one moment in time. Therefore no satellite could be picked
without an error.

It might help new operators, to remind them to set the End Time into the future before doing the calculation.
The waterfall on the monitor is working now too, probably because the calculation time is set correctly.

Thank you for your help. You made me go through step by step to figure out what the problem was.

Mike, NA5SS

1 Like

Glad to hear that everything works as it should. Indeed the default end time when you visit observations/new page is the start time + 10min.