TLE Future - Alpha5 or JSON?

the NORAD_CAT_ID satellite number used in the TLE will soon run out of available numbers. Will this platform start using Alpha5 or JSON?

1 Like

Not sure what SatNOGS is going to do. Here’s explanation of the issue at Space-Track and Celestrak:

The STK docs read:

The alpha5 format was proposed by the USAF as an intermediary solution for extending the use of TLEs to a larger catalog size. Its use is now discouraged.

2 Likes

The primary key used to identify satellites in SatNOGS is the SatNOGS Satellite ID already, which is not affected by the exhaustion of 5-digit numbers for the NORAD ID.

Exchange of ephemerides like is done via TLEs currently and it is planned already to be extended by the use of CCSDS Orbital Mean-Elements Messages (OMM). I just created satnogs-db#543 to track this.

There is probably no need for Alpha-5 to be used by SatNOGS at any point.

2 Likes

the NORAD ID won’t be running out of numbers for a long time, it was the TLE format that is the problem. it’s legacy is an 80-column IBM computer punch card! And I do believe you get the data via TLE not the more modern GP (General Perturbations, CCSDS) and JSON? that is available.

if the space-track goes away, which is possible Jan 24 where would you get data? I’m researching where Celestrak gets its data, but good guess is that its mostly space-track.

A larger issue is making sure the open-source community has free access to the data. After January 2024, space-track’s public access is decided by the US Secretary of Defense. Currently its law that makes it free, as a result of the Iridium collision in 2009

Hey, do you have any links/info about the January 2024 law? I did a quick search, but just turned up noise.

from what I understand, it will be changing to the civil side of the govt as per Special Policy Directive 3 (SPD3) signed by then Pres. Trump.

2 Likes

US Code Title 10, Section 2274 is the SECDEF responsibilities on Space SSA to/from the outside community.

2 Likes

Another important article about the future of free or fee catalog data

2 Likes