Survey question: What kind of RTL-SDR dongle are you using?

I’m working on the Wiki again.

These RTL-SDR “dongles” are known to work:

• NooElec NESDR SMArt
  • RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U
  • Full band UV HF RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver

Would you add more? Do any of the Super-SDR’s work?

• AirSpy?
  • HackRF One?
  • SDRplay RSP1, RSP2A, etc. ?
  • FunCube?

–Konrad

1 Like

Hi all,

I am using an R820T2/RTL2832U and will
probably have a try at SDRplay.

1 Like

r820t2 - works liek a charm on rpi2b and newer
airspy mini - but this needs powerful machine, for me was no-go even at 3msps with raspi3, on c2duo works like a charm

3 Likes

The SDR Play (s) are not that expensive and have two features I really like:

1. 14 bits --> more dynamic range
  2. Automatic bandpass filters.

Can these be used? It might need a faster processor than an RPi.

–Konrad

It’s on the list. Thanks for the report.

Did not work with RPi 3, but works on Intel core 2 Running 64-bit Linux Debian?

–Konrad

NooElec SMArt for me. I would upgrade to a better SDR. It would probably require an update to the 'puter as well to get the best out of it though

Alex

Alex,
Thanks! It’s on the list.

I would really like to know if an SDRPlay RSP1 easily integrates into a SatNOGS groundstation. It has nice front-end banpass filters and 14 bits for dynamic range.

–Konrad

AFAIK nobody has tried it and the official gr-osmosdr wrapper that is used by satnogs does not have a functioning interface for this. You will have to build a patched gr-osmosdr yourself and probably also rebuild gr-satnogs. Then there is also the usual gain settings question, i.e. how to map the gains in .grc files to actually available gains.

So, I would say not easy…

Since gqrx supports some advanced SDRs and uses the gr-osmosdr, is it safe to say that all of the advanced SDRs in this list are likely to be supported?

http://gqrx.dk/supported-hardware

–Konrad

I am missing samples on my rpi2b withe the rtlsdr even if i make sample rate 250k. It must be the sd card?

1 Like

No idea what’s wrong with your Station, but the sample rate sure was never the cause. I am running a RTLSDR on a RasPi2B as a station in dev-network and never had trouble with the default sample rate setting. You will have to make some more investigations…

2 Likes

Thanks for updating the wiki!

hackrf and airspy have both been tested and work (and we have preconfigured settings for them in gr-satnogs:python/hw_settings.py), in addition add the usrp2 and usrpb200 to your list as known good.

The catch with airspy and hackrf as mentioned elsewhere in this thread is that their minimum sample rates are too high for the raspberry pi to keep up with so they would only work on a beefier linux desktop. My personal opinion is that the rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle and a raspberry pi 3 work just fine enough for the signals we seek, and cost less than an airspy or hackrf.

FunCube needs some attention here… I have one and can test it but just need the time…

We spoke with some of their engineers at hamvention this year. The only gr-osmosdr support is through a fork at this point. Ideal scenario is to work with the original devs and get support back into mainline. Otherwise we would need to switch to or support a fork in order for this to work. Its messy. Now, assuming it does work, all one would need would be to install that fork first, add the appropriate name and configuration for the sdrplay into gr-satnogs:python/hw_settings.py and build gr-satnogs. (then configure satnogs-client to point to the sdrplay when it invokes the gr-satnogs scripts)

2 Likes