Software upgrade questions

Hello,
According to this post the upgrade is following:

" * For the Stations on Raspbian 10 you must upgrade with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

But according to this you need to reflash:

" THIS UPDATE IS ONLY AVAILABLE WITH A REFLASH AS IT REQUIRES A DISTRIBUTION UPGRADE (Buster → Bullseye)!"

So the two posts have information that are not the same, or maybe I do not understand the connection between the different upgrades. Can someone please explain?

/Lars SM0TGU

The reality is you can update the OS without a reflash, but it can be difficult. I would only recommend it if you are familiar with Debian/apt and know how to fix things if the packages break, for example.

Also, I think there are two upgrades that are intertwined. One is the satnogs-client update, the other is the main OS update from Buster (Debian 10) to Bullseye (Debian 11). Buster is getting quite old at this point, so it is a good time to get the OS updated too.

Debian indeed can be upgraded using instructions from this page. On Raspberry Pi OS, I’ve made multiple attempts to upgrade to 11 but they were all unsuccessful.

I was able to do Buster->Bullseye, but it was pretty quirky/fugly. Something like this

# update all /etc/apt/sources.list* files from buster to bullseye
apt update
apt upgrade --autoremove --purge
apt --autoremove install libgcc-8-dev gcc-8-base
apt install satnogs-flowgraphs gnuradio-dev
apt --autoremove dist-upgrade
# reboot

# Some mess here to get the right ansible, I did this a couple ways:
# Make sure "trusty" repo is commented out
apt remove ansible
sudo satnogs-setup
# In menu:
# Update --> Select
# This upgrades ansible
apt update
apt install ansible

sudo satnogs-setup
# Update --> Select
# Update --> Apply
reboot

Then update gr-satellites, scheduler, etc., if those are used.

2 Likes

Thank you, then I will do a fresh install.
/Lars

1 Like

I tried to ‘upgrade’ from Buster to Bullseye on my Pi3 VHF station this because I managed to bury the SD card and the Pi3 under the power supply and fan in the enclosure that I built. After a few hours I gave up and took the thing apart and flashed the SD card with the latest image_2022-09-10-Raspbian-SatNOGS-lite.zip and then installed the gr-satellites so that I can decode the FunCube and whatnot.