Setup client on C.H.I.P

I’ve setup the client and gr-satnogs successfully but when an observation finishes i get no waterfall and no audio.

Attaching log file. See exception near the end.

log.txt (2.3 MB)

2 Likes

@fredy @cshields ^ any ideas here? (for it being a Debian based OS)

1 Like

The only error I can spot in logs is this one:
/bin/sh: 1: satnogs_cw_demod.py: Exec format error

Not sure what it means, I suggest before the next observation from network to run manually gnuradio scripts (cw or fm). Something similar to the next command should produce waterfall and audio file:

satnogs_fm_demod.py --rx-sdr-device=rtlsdr --rx-freq=444000000 --file-path=./audio-out.ogg --waterfall-file-path=./waterfall.dat

1 Like

How was gr-satnogs installed, what version of gnuradio libs were used?

I recompiled gr-satnogs and now it look like it works.

I did a dummy (no antenna) observation and i got waterfall/radio.

https://network-dev.satnogs.org/observations/2245/

I used gr 3.7.10

3 Likes

Awesome… looking forward for an observation with antenna :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to run a custom script before and after an observation?

I have modified CHIP board to allow software power off of USB port to save power so ideally i would like to power on the rtl-sdr before the observation and power it off again once done.

1 Like

It looks like there is (though someone from the project should probably confirm this):

• If you’re running the Raspbian image, you can run satnogs-setup -n and set SATNOGS_PRE_OBSERVATION_SCRIPT and SATNOGS_POST_OBSERVATION_SCRIPT (both under the “Advanced configuration options” entry in the menu).
  • If you’re not running Raspbian, you’ll need to set the environment variables SATNOGS_PRE_OBSERVATION_SCRIPT and SATNOGS_POST_OBSERVATION_SCRIPT.

However, looking at the code I think the post-observation script may be run twice (here and here). (The pre-observation script is only run once.) If that’s the case, you may want to be careful that this won’t cause problems for you.