Searching for hex strings in the observation database

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the best category to ask in. I’m reviewing hex data from some of my earlier non-ax.25 satellite receptions, and cannot assign some results to a specific satellite.

Doe anyone know if the satnogs observation database can be searched for specific hex strings. For example, which satellite was transmitting 0a d9 c3 06 13 02 0b 0c a3 61 35 at the beginning of the frame?

Thanks,

Bob
N6RFM

Unfortunately this is not possible and the current storage implementation makes it difficult to create something that will work efficiently. In a recent developers meeting we decided that this should be changed, for other reasons too, however this will take some time (weeks to months).

Thanks Fredy for the reply and update. I’ll stand by. Will look forward to an update in the months to come.

Best,
Bob

1 Like

Hi Fredy,

Any update on this?

Looking in my archives, I’ve found last year that I decoded a satellite unknown to me and did not record the frequency. My bad. But, I do have the kss files and resulting hex strings. This my interest in being able to search for hex strings in the database. That’s what prompted the original question.

Thanks,
Bob
N6RFM

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately nothing has changed yet in term of how we store the data. Still we have plans to change it but not clear timeline. The development resources for SatNOGS were too low the last year, however this has changed recently and more people start working and helping on development.

My current suggestion to find out to which satellite these kss files belong is to ask in a new thread about them, maybe someone from the community can recognize them and help you.

fredy

Thanks Fredy! I’ll try this. In fact there are several now I’d like to identify.
Very hopeful that in future we will be allowed some sort of hex string search.
Bob

1 Like

We are currently have many open fronts in SatNOGS and we will need to organize the project. Write down all the use cases and the requirements fo the future and organize them in milestones. This will help to draw a clear roadmap, which help everyone to understand the development process. This may take some time, but I want it to finish as soon as possible in order to focus on the development and operations.

Saying the above, one of the requirements/use cases is to transfer artifacts (including data) in a more efficient architecture which will allow operations like the searching among the data. I can not promise anything but these architecture changes will be on top positions on the priority list, as it will help to build the rest.

fredy