SDRPlay vs RTLSDR Performance

Hello all!

I have a question regarding the receiver setup for Satnogs. I am currently using the RTL-SDR v3, and have been getting decent performance. Data packets are a hit or miss depending on the pass. However, I am looking for ways to improve my setup.

I was recommended the SDR Play RSP 1B as a better receiver. I was wondering what is everyone’s opinion on this receiver and how much of a performance gain I can expect with the SDR Play.

Current setup is:
-VHF Yagi (4 elements)
-UHF Yagi (7 elements)
-25 foot run of RG-213
-RTL-SDR v3
-Yaesu G5500 Rotators

Thanks!

I refer to the report made some 4 years ago. Look in the git repo and report v1.1

Do note that the complete experience is a mix of hardware, drivers and settings.
I do own a SDRPlay RSP1a and I really dislike the driver part and somewhat dislike the gain control.

Not sure if intentional, but no mention of LNA at the antennas afaict ?

2 Likes

I have the same experience with the SDRPlay, there closed source “driver” and gain behavior is to say it in a nice way, a challenge.

The best experience that I have, are with the Airspy R2 and Mini, there is one challenge, and that is you need a decent USB2 interface otherwise you can also run into challenges.

Up front, use the R2 with a 2.5msps and Mini with 3.0msps sample rate.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, looks like it’ll definitely be a good read.

Yeah that’s right, we do not have an LNA, I assumed that a 25 ft run would be short enough to not need one. But I guess it doesn’t hurt to add one.

Thanks, will look into the R2 and mini. I also wanted to float the idea of getting some bandpass filters for VHF & UHF.