Satnogs Client Setup Fails at <APPLY>

Perhaps just create the user+group and then remove the satnogs user ?
as root (sudo su - or login/pass)

groupadd -r pi
useradd -r -g pi -d /home/pi -m -s /bin/bash -G audio,dialout,plugdev pi
passwd pi

Then login as that user to verify it is working and from there, as root, do:

userdel -f -r satnogs
groupdel satnogs

ymmv etc, start from scratch otherwise.
if using raspberry pi imager, make sure to go in to advanced options and set hostname, enable ssh, set user/pass to pi or personal, optional wlan and locale.

Hello SA2KNG,
I did to a complete reset and I made it all the way through the set up. I just have to figure out how to run the software and see what kind of control I have. I did install some suggested software listed in the instructions. Thank you for your advice. Actually everyone what has responded. Itā€™s nice to hear fellow HAMS have your backā€¦ I show active on the map even though I am not completely set up or on control. Is there a way to change your status to down for maintenance or testing etc?

Hi Jeff, glad to be of help.

On the station dashboard 3188 you have the edit button, there you can change it to test under the settings category. This only means you can schedule on it. Normally the testing mode should be disabled, unless thereā€™s a good reason for it (maintenance, changing settings, unreliable behaviour, ā€¦).
The online/offline is detected as the -client polls for observations. When the station is not polling it soon goes to offline and then no new obs can be scheduled on it.

I scheduled two obs on it just to see how it does (:

Hi SA2KNG,
I found another problem when I went to calibrate the SDR. When I perform a SoapySDRUtil --probe I get an error straight away and the ā€œDevice identificationā€ shows the driver=audio, hardware-Audio, device_id=0, origin=GitHub - pothosware/SoapyAudio: Soapy SDR plugin for Audio devicesā€¦ I do not know how to change that it must have defaulted because of the error I will try to post a couple of screen shots.

This should work SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=rtlsdr"

Thank you Jan,
I did give that a try and as you can see from the screen shoot gave me an error. Still Identifies Audioā€¦

I tried a few times but no luck.
Clarification:
I enter SoapySDRUtil --probe=ā€œdriver=rtlsdrā€ and it comes up as" Device identification" driver=RTLSDR, hardware=R820T, index=0, origin=http//github.com/pothosware/SoapyRTLSDR
However I then enter SoapySDRUtil --probe it then defaults back to the device identification of driver=Audio, hardware=Audio, etcā€¦ What could cause that situation? my apologies for asking so many questions. If you look on the map of where I am there are no GS anywhere close to me by a few states. Thank you ahead for your continued assistance.

Unix and its derivative Linux are case sensitive, so you should execute the command exactly as give by me in the example SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=rtlsdr"

In your screenshot I see you used SoapySDRUtil --Probe="driver-rtlsdr" and you already experienced that this is wrong with the reply unrecognized option.

I am not sure why it only defaults to the Soapy audio driver in your case. Lets see if we get some decant output when you execute the example I suggested.

Hello Jan,
I did make note of that and make sure to double-check my entries for case sensitivity now. For some reason I still get the default to the Audio driver. Here is the latest screen shot with an endpoint error.

But no idea what this commands output is SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=rtlsdr"

Please share the output

Thanks for sharing this information.

So now we are sure the RTL SDR is also detected by the Soapy framework.
Because I got the feeling we where going in circles I am not sure what the issue is you are facing.
I have no explanation why the SoapySDRUtil --probe only shows the Pi Audio device but this shouldnā€™t be an issue.

I have also seen a posting regarding the SoapyRemote.

What are you trying to achieve ?

With regards to the SoapyRemote I am trying to use my main computer to access my station using CubicSDR. This program is supposed to detect my station because they both share the same network. It doesnā€™t detect it nor will it acknowledge the SDR if I enter it manually. I have tried different configurations and still nothing. This is a lot more complicated then I thought and heard it was going to be, maybe I just have an odd case even though I am trying to use reference hardware setup. Thanks for sticking around to help me out.

Lets try to get this up and running.

So we have two computers that are connected to the same network, I hope it is connected wired and not using Wireless.

The computer that has the SDR connected needs to have SoapyRemote running. Execute the following command to see if this service is enabled and running.

systemctl status SoapyRemote (To check if the service is active and running)

My guess is, that it isnā€™t active. If this is the case then execute the following.

Enable the service systemctl enable SoapyRemote
Start the service systemctl start SoapyRemote

Check if it is active and enabled systemctl status SoapyRemote

Okay quickly I am at this point using wireless because the Pi had it, I didnā€™t see any objections. I originally had it wired but when I had to pug in the RTLSDR it wouldnā€™t fit. I have purchased an adapter so I can use the LAN connection. Do I perform the bluetooth and Wifi disable command?
Additionally I entered the command you asked me to do: systemctl status SoapyRemote ā€œsaid it could not be foundā€. Then entered systemctl enable SoapyRemote ā€œsaid that it doesnā€™t exist.ā€

Wifi isnā€™t the most stable network solution and with SoapyRemote we need an optimum streaming network solution.

Install SoapyRemote.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install soapyremote-server

sudo systemctl enable soapyremote-server
sudo systemctl start soapyremote-server
sudo systemctl status soapyremote-server

After that it should be visible on the network.

I edited the /boot/ config.txt file to disable the WIFI and Bluetooth. ifconfig proved successful WLAN0 is gone.
I had to leave the home QTH i will complete the install this evening. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hello I performed this request:
Install SoapyRemote.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install soapyremote-server

sudo apt-get enable soapyremove-server
sudo apt-get start soapyremove-server
sudo apt-get status soapyremove-server

After that it should be visible on the network.
However after the update and the install, the last three came back as invalid operation.
I used (sudo systemctl enable soapyremote-server) as well as for ā€œstartā€, and ā€œstatusā€ and it looks like that worked please look at the screen shot and tell me what you think. Thanks again!!

I am so sorry, I shared the wrong commands.

sudo systemctl start soapyremote-server
sudo systemctl status soapyremote-server

This is looking good.

Jan I just got home from workā€¦ I tried sudo systemctl enable soapyremove-server and right away I received an error: Failed to enable unit: Unit file soapyremove-server.service does not exist.
Iā€™m sure the command you gave is the right one but I am surprised with it being soapyremove-service vs soapyremote-service. I didnā€™t follow through with the last three because the first failed.

It seems I am not at my best, another fault in the command, should be

and not sudo systemctl enable soapyremove-server