Satnogs 2.0.1.0 / RTLSDR v3 / Bias-T

Hi,

I upgraded (clean start) my station to gr-satnogs 2.0.1.0 and unfortunately the bias-t setup that worked with version 1.5 ( https://wiki.satnogs.org/Software_Defined_Radio#Using_RTL-SDR.com_V3_Dongle.27s_Bias-T_Power_Supply ) no longer works. Just sharing in case some of you rely on it.

73’s Martin

1 Like

I have done this last weekend an install using Debian Buster and also gr-satnogs 2.0.1. I have to compile rtl_biast as explained in the wiki. After that, checked it works running the executable from the directory :
$ /home/pi/rtl_biast/build/src/rtl_biast -b 1
Found 1 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001
Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner

Then, check permissions, so that the satnogs user can launch the script from satnogs-client. Then, set the pre/post observation scripts in satnogs-setup.

By the way, I did have problems because misconfiguring a new parameter, SATNOGS_SOAPY_RX_DEVICE, which in my case, the correct value is driver=rtlsdr.

Hi,

I must admit that I did not try to add the shortcut in my pre-observation script since I had the values in the SATNOS_DEV_ARGS. I will give it a try but last night it was faster to just solder a power supply to the LNA.

73’s Martin

Thanks for the heads up.
I noticed after my last rebuild that the sensitivity on my stations was poor.

I had previously placed biasT attributes into the dev arguments, but this doesn’t appear to work any longer.

I have placed the below in as a pre observation script.
/home/pi/rtl_biast/build/src/rtl_biast -b 1

And as a post observations script.
/home/pi/rtl_biast/build/src/rtl_biast -b 0