RoseyCubesat-1 Image Decoding

I believe there will be a download at 9:30 UTC this morning, and then likely again this evening :slight_smile:

Alex

2023-10-07 22:27:11 and 22:30:51 UTC
MaxEl 22°, QRM
3178 Frames I uploaded to SatNOGS DB
Huge thanks #VE3SVF for Images Decoder!

2023-10-07_222711z_sm_rgb

2 Likes

Wow, a complete image with no missing packets based on SATNOGS data alone! I think the team was trying to take a night time image with max exposure, but that looks like they got the day light side instead🤔.

It was a smoothed image. The real image that I received:

output_rgb

2 Likes

Download this evening at 22:09 UTC over switzerland. It is hoped to be an image taken over the North Pole.

Nice to see the feature is working as expected! (:

1 Like

@MVP_alex a question for you:

When RoseyCubesat-1 is downlinking previews, the counter appears to range from 0-21, giving 22 values. Each frame contains 80 bytes of image data. According to the specs, the previews are 48x36, giving 1728 bytes per preview.

However, 22 frames of 80 bytes of data gives 1760 bytes. How is this possible? Is there something I am missing?

Just pushed commit 1b3a860 to my decoder, which adds an optional -rp flag to remove the preview frames that the satellite sends (aka longer images downlinked).

Keep in mind that this feature is beta and may not work as expected!

1 Like

Some nice imagery decoded!
output_smooth_rgb_equalized
output_smooth_rgb

2 Likes

Wonderful image by @SA2KNG

Congrats on the reception!

4 Likes

Its a cool photo, so I believe the team will attempt to downlink this image again over the coming days to try to complete it. Unfortunately I am not on the operations team, so I do not have any direct info of the schedule. But I am in contact with the guys who do operate it, so I can sometimes ask for updates. If anyone would like a downlink over their specific area I can try to pass on the request.

1 Like

I found the official gallery of imagery from Roseycubesat-1. Here’s an interesting comparison of the official imagery vs the SatNogs-downlinked imagery!

Official

SatNogs

Official

SatNogs

Official

SatNogs

output_smooth_rgb

Official

SatNogs

output

Official

SatNogs

4 Likes

Download attempt scheduled for this evening at ~22:45 UTC over Switzerland.

2 Likes

Wonderful!

Space

2023-10-23 22:47:52 UTC

output_smooth_rgb

1 Like

Interesting, must have decoded the wrong dump then!

I need to look into this again

1 Like

Thanks for all your interest and help in receiving and decoding photos! Another download (of a photo taken over California this morning) is scheduled for tonight around 22:15 UTC over switzerland.
full - Copy_interpolated_colour

2 Likes

Nice download!

2 Likes

It’s a very nice pic, so another download of the same image is planned for 27th at 9:30am UTC over Switzerland. Hopefully we can capture the second half of the image!

1 Like