Reducing v3 cost

I originally planned on using the panels in the 8020 slots. I couldn’t think of a good way to remove the panels without removing structural pieces. I wanted the panels to be easily removed and allow the tracker to still function, plus the panels wouldn’t seal in the slots very well. Standard 1/4" panels rattle around in the slots. I could just bolt the panels to the outside of the 8020, but there’s still the corners where the panels meet up that would need to be sealed. I also wanted larger bolts on the end panels that support the bearings (5 pairs of skate bearings radially around the tube and a flange bearing). I believe the 8020 can only tap 1/4" on the ends. There would need to be a full 8020 frame in order for 1/4" bolts to be adequate. Then it’s back to a full 8020 frame with panels bolted on, with all the associated expensive hardware. I needed to go cheaper in some areas so I could go more expensive in others, like the 1/4" thick 2.5" diameter tube running through the tracker. I didn’t think a PVC pipe through a couple bearings would last very long in the sun, especially with the weight and twisting forces from the antennas. I don’t want to be replacing stuff due to weather damage.

It is my design. I’ll post it somewhere when I have it completed. So far most of the pieces have been printed and a template of the base confirms the hole spacing. There’s still some details I need to work out, such as the 2.2:1 belt reduction combined with the 25:1 worm gear being enough with the Pololu motor driver to drive the tracker slow enough. I may have to add another belt reduction.