Privacy on this forum

This forum uses google analytics on every page. Is this really necessary? All forum users that don’t block it become trackable by google on yet another site. If you really want to do analytics, why not switch to a solution that doesn’t share the data with a third party such as Matomo (Piwik).

Related links: one and two

2 Likes

While this doesn’t address your original questions, I would definitely recommend a tool like the EFF’s Privacy Badger; it’s a browser extension that blocks web tracking (including Google Analytics) on all sites you visit. It’s available for Firefox, Chrome and Opera. I’ve used it since its original release and I’m quite happy with it.

1 Like

@SatNogs didn’t answer this Q. Why not?

Hey all,

Indeed Google Analytics is not the best privacy-aware approach, although you can protect your self in various ways (plugins, DNT flag etc). We should be looking into replacing this with a more privacy-aware technology and indeed PiWik is a good candidate. The main issue would be resources associated with it, in specific people time implementing, migrating and maintaining this. We need all the help we can get, so any experienced sysops that would like to help, would be highly welcome!

3 Likes