Open source rocket projects

Are there any open source rocketry projects within the Libre Space Foundation? If not, why? I see many student projects building rockets but it looks like because of the Base 11 Space Challenge where $1 million is due to end of 2020 everybody is currently keeping their projects closed source. Any opinions on this?

1 Like

There are
https://gitlab.com/librespacefoundation/cronos-rocket is a student rocket project sponsored by Libre Space Foundation

1 Like

@drid

Nice. That is hybrid engine, right? I am rather interested in liquid engine. Really looks like the teams keep it closed because of the Base 11 prize money.

The only reason we haven’t started a project for it yet is that no one with the time and experience has stepped up to lead such an effort.

Personally i could see the experience of the Cronos project leading up to a liquid engine design, since a lot of the much needed side-projects, setups, control, testing equipment and GSE are almost the same.

1 Like

@pierros

Well why not try to 3D print whole liquid propellant rocket - engine from metal and body from plastics? Engine is doable as many such have flown already. FDM body could be a nice project - i don’t really see a reason why that shouldn’t work. Just need to make sure it is water tight and can hold slight overpressure? Relativity Space do body from metal. I think plastics could work too.

1 Like

I believe so, the plastics should work.
As there are not fully open, but demonstrated working 3D printed plastic models.

Check out github. There should be plenty of them I believe.

One key issue with open source and rocketry is the various laws on export control.
In France, within Federation Open Space Makers we are studying in details where the limit lies between what can be open and what is considered as controlled, and thus cannot be open source. But the regulations vary widely from country to country.

At least, for example, the EVE project of an open source liquid rocket motor is considered not to be subject to export control law in France because of its very small thrust objective of 1kN.

2 Likes