Observation 668842: NOAA 15 (25338)

Regarding Observation 668842

seems to be a problem with auto vetting. This NOAA 15 pass was vetted good , but my station was in test mode and disconnected at the time. No power nor antenna.

Then mark it as failed. It will stay that way.

I think you mis-understood my comment. The auto vetting program has a bug. If I mark is as failed, then that does not solve the problem.

This is the same issue as with CW I guess, in that the SatNOGS network considered the presence of uploaded data (in this case a ‘decoded’ image) to be confirmation that a pass is successful.
Of course, in this case the image just contained noise.

Just like with the CW issue, it is not trivial to determine if the decoded data is actually valid or not. In this case, some kind of image recognition would need to be applied, to perhaps look for the calibration lines at the side of the APT image.

Probably not worth the effort TBH. As with CW, maybe APT passes should not be auto-vetted as OK just due to the presence of uploaded images.

@bob it didn’t fail. You station uploaded Data for NOAA uploading data is an auto good.

For NOAA 99% the presence of a image means it worked. This is why I go thru my NOAA obs manually on my station. To make sure they are good and not just nosie.

the “auto-vetting” is very rudimentary today, only happening if and when a data file is uploaded. Your case and Mark’s are both correct in that they are not “good” at all (I would also propose that until the CW decoder is improved we shouldn’t be trusting those at all)

I disagree. It did fail, but you are correct in that “upload” automatically means “good”. This is the very scenario I’ve talked about here. In our docs, it is technically a “bad” observation against NOAA 15, but how helpful is that to us in tracking the health of that satellite?

I meant the auto vet didn’t fail. The observation did. (I reveted it to failed myself from good.)

It totally failed, because my station was not powered for approximately 7 days. Look at the bad vetting from that period. Those had been scheduled but my station was in a box totally without power or internet service. Anything that was sent to the DB was not from my station. The NOAA pass in question did record a bad image, but that did not come from my station. I do not know how to make it more plain. My station was decommissioned for several days before and after NOAA was vetted good.

Look in the logs and see when I put my station in test mode. I removed power and antenna from my station that day, and then look at the date it was put back into service (yesterday). It is impossible for my station to have sent anything to the database.

The NOAA image is from 2019-05-17 00:01:11 your station went into testing at 2019-05-17 04:23:38 so it could be from it. Last uploaded observation before they stopped was at 2019-05-17 09:44:56. So probably when you disconnected it.

Original post

Well then someone else has your API KEY. Because no other station can upload to then network with out your API KEY.

Also something did upload that waterfall and image. You may want to have the admins reset your api key

My last successful pass and upload to the db was Observation #666212

Timeframes are in UTC

Satellite44109 - M6P

Station296 - bob

ObserverThomas Telkamp

StatusGood

TransmitterFSK9k6

Frequency437.265 MHz

EncodingFSK9k6

Timeframe2019-05-16 02:10:42

3 weeks, 1 day ago

2019-05-16 02:17:56

My station was off line and dead the day before this pass. I do not think that anyone else has my key. It would have been stolen from my computer or from SATNOGS. I am the only person that has access to my computer. Possibly someone could have intercepted the data stream after it left my station… I guess anything is possible.

Odd. Well I can say it’s probably not the key thing. Seeing as eventually they just didn’t upload anything.

Either way. This still shows the auto vetting can be giving incorrect idea of the state of an observation.

1 Like