Observation 3496124: PIC-B (99761)

Regarding Observation 3496124
Is there any opportunity to dig up the IQ data on this pass?

Otherwise, is there a good way to extract complex samples from the recorded audio? or just to know what generated the ogg file?

@swljn26 Thank you so much for finding the satellite and confirming it might be alive :slight_smile:

Thanks!
J

Unless IQ recording was specifically enabled, it won’t be available.

I’m not really sure there is anything in this pass?
I see what looks like wideband noise, but given this was a low elevation pass, and the antenna is an ‘omni’ style antenna, I’d be a bit conservative on marking this observation as ‘good’. Wideband antennas like what is used on this station are unlikely to have much gain in any direction, and especially not towards the horizon.
It’s also worth noting that the station is in Europe, where 900 MHz is part of the mobile phone band.

Looking at the most recent observation from this station (https://network.satnogs.org/observations/3496125/ ) the same kind of noise is visible.

I would be waiting for a high elevation pass, or an observation from a station with a high gain tracking antenna, before making any judgements on what has been observed.

Makes sense, I always forget that 900mhz is in the mobile band in europe, thanks for that reminder.

thanks for the extra information and suggestions
J

It’s a mobile band pretty much everywhere except the US… hence why I’m so incredibly surprised you got a space communication allocation on that frequency.

It’s like the FCC doesn’t care about what happens outside the US, or they were under the impression that it would only be transmitting over the US (which is clearly not the case).

It somehow went through the ITU, which somewhat shocks me too. Power is quite low though, so I suspect that is why they wrote it off.

I was quite clear about its orbital nature and transmitting everywhere in the license application, so who knows.

Not the best comms design anyways, which I regret.
J

1 Like

Hello, all my observations for PIC-B and PIC-A is local QRM after listen frequency without satellite pass. I put back to BAD.

1 Like