Observation 214267: SiriusSat-2 (43596)

Regarding Observation 214267 …are the horizontal blips on the waterfall TLM?

Yes they are! :slight_smile:

You can see them also in the rest of the good observations of this satellite. :wink:

In this one which tests some new decoders (that will be on the next version) you can see it managed to decode some of the “blips”.


Thanks fredy. I was not able to decode, so was guessing.

1 Like

Yay \o/
The MSK decoder ist running!?

fixed as of last night… :wink:

1 Like

great! Looking forward to seeing TLM decoded for more sats. If for no other reason than to know my ground station is reading proper data and not local trash.

wunderbar mein Freund

yup! the upcoming gr-satnogs release should have a few improvements that help in decoding data.

In the meantime, even good observations that are not decoded automatically may still be decode-able manually - or possibly in the future when we have better decoders and automation to “catch up” with audio files that were not successful in the past (I’m not speaking of any current roadmap plans, just to point out that “someday” that jump observation may be worth something)

In the meantime, what is your station setup like? I notice you have a lot of antennas selected. Looks like VHF has been successful in the past, I’ve setup a few FOX sats for DUV decoding on your station, let’s see how that works. :slight_smile:


You are welcome to use this ground station all you like. This station is a mess. I will try to explain what I have running and why. I am running a RPI3 with Stretch lite OS, controlled by a desktop Windows 10 pro with SSH on the same home network. The SDR dongle is made by ThumbSat and works great. I also have a ThumbSat N3 that I plan to use whenever I get around to enclosing and shielding this stuff. The RPI3 and dongle are lying on the shelf beside the desktop computer and monitors, at the present the keyboard is on top of it. So, there is a lot of rf getting into the system.

The antennas are fixed, and mounted in a cluster on two sections of TV mast that are connected at the joints via stainless screws. All the antennas are DC grounded to the mast and the mast is grounded via three copper rods connected via number six copper wire. The coax leads are connected to a stainless steel plate connected to the ground rods via u-bolts. So the antennas are pretty well grounded. BTW: the HF dipole is not connected to the other antennas except at the junction filters located at the dongle.

I found that direct grounded antennas have less signal strength than non-grounded antennas, but the noise floor is much less. And I get much less noise from the static crashes from the daily thunderstorms this time of year. So, number one job here is to keep the noise floor down. Which suggest that I need to shield the equipment next.

The next on-going project is the antenna filters and separators. I am currently using homebrew stuff that I am constantly working on trying to get the different antenna signals separated. I have not accomplished that yet. One reason the UHF antennas are not working properly. The VHF antennas apparently are deflecting the signals from the UHF antennas. Looks like I will not get the filters to work like I need. So, and thinking about trying to get the RPI3 to select the correct antenna via a couple of microwave antenna relays that I have. I have several Arduinos that I need to use for something, so looks like a good project for them. Each relay will switch three antennas, so that should suffice. hi

Also, the thunderstorms are shutting down the internet service almost daily. So, you will see several missed satellites because the station API has lost connection to the servers.

If you see a change in the sats signal strength, either good or bad, please let me know. Probably will be due to another antenna change.

1 Like