Observation 1101514: NOAA 18 (28654)

Regarding Observation 1101514 …OK, so I am finally receiving and decoding some data! I am using a VHF Turnstyle in the attic, about 50’ of LMR-400 and an RTL-SDR with RF-Gain set at 32.8. I have an RTL-SDR Blog LNA available, but it is not presently in the RF chain. I am thinking that the signal in the waterfall should be much more prominent for this satellite (and the image be much more legible). Would it be advisable for me to 1) crank up the RF Gain setting in the RTL-SDR or 2) insert the LNA into the RF chain at the antenna (and adjust the dongle gain) or some combination of both 1 and 2? Any advice will be appreciated.
Red
KC4LE

That looks like pretty typical reception for a good pass and an indoor antenna. If I were you I would try jacking the RF-GAIN up to max, first. Then, when time permits, try the LNA installed as close to the antenna as possible, and adjust the RF-GAIN to a single digit value and work your way up to fine tune the gain.

OK, that sounds like a good strategy - I’m going to try it.
BTW are you attending the AMSAT Symposium later this week? I am going to be there.
Red
KC4LE

No, unfortunately bad timing for me. I am taking the PE exam next week and have some other family stuff planned for the weekend. Disappointed as it is so close this year. Have fun!

–Roy
K3RLD

Good luck with that PE exam - that will be a nice addition to your resume. My undergrad degree is also engineering (Industrial).

1 Like