New satellite CubeL 400.575 MHz

thanks! It works. I made a test plot for OPS-SAT PA temperature. Could you point me to the right documentation page, so I can understand how to populate data?

Hi,
I received it too. Good signal on 400.575MHz my antenna still has some performance down to 400MHz.
And decoded with gr_satellite using BOBCAT-1 decoder, just raw data but seems resonable: same header found in obs #3728745.
How to decode?
Thank you
Lapo

Hi IK5NAX,

thanks for the tip with BOBCAT-1. I made a CUBE-L.yml file, so one can also get the CSP payload:
CUBE-L.yml.txt (255 Bytes)

name: CUBE-L
alternative_names:
norad: 47448
data:
&tlm Telemetry:
telemetry: csp
transmitters:
9k6 FSK downlink:
frequency: 400.575e+6
modulation: FSK
baudrate: 9600
framing: AX100 ASM+Golay
data:
- *tlm

You can specify it instead of the satellite name. I though for a while that CUBE-L uses reed-solomon, but clearly this is not the case :slight_smile:

Cheers,

DL2ZZ

Hi,
ok for yml file, I’ve received CubeL outside SatNOGS and I demodulated/decoded with gr_satellite but I used the wrong term, “decode” was about: “how to get informations” from such raw data
73, Lapo IK5NAx

Dear Lapo,

As this is a private satellite, this information is not public. So I think we need to stop here.

73 de DL2ZZ

No such thing as a “private” satellite. We as Libre Space Foundation advocate for the maximum amount of public data and cataloguing documenting all activities in space. That includes orbits, frequencies, modulations, etc.

Dear Pierros,

Primarily I meant: We do not have the documentation to parse the satellite telemetry.
I fully support your idea on open data, but I am wondering, what is the legal situation?

The legal part of recording space-data-transmission and reverse engineering the protocol is for sure something you at Libre Space Foundation have looked into.

Is it legal in the case of non-consent of the satellite owner? Even, if the data is not encrypted.

Cheers DL2ZZ

Hi,
ah, ok. I had read too quickly and it seemed to me something about temperature, I misunderstud, sorry :slight_smile:

73, Lapo

That is legal on most jurisdictions (and certainly on the one we are legally incorporated as a non-profit organization).

That is certainly up for interpretation for many jurisdictions and there is a fine line between reverse-engineer and IP violations.

The question is not really about reverse engineering but rather about the line of “private” information and transmissions (and crossing it).

Since we are monitoring more than 500 satellites in orbit, some cases are different than others and we are constantly re-evaluating our stance as a community, especially through the lens of Space Situational Awareness and the need for it.

1 Like

I would additionally argue that since the vast majority of those satellites at the moment are transmitting within the radio amateur spectrum using the radio amateur satellite service, what we have seen is that there is not enough information about their protocols/modulations/encodings as they are obliged to share. :wink:

2 Likes