Network - Observations - Group Scheduling

Group Scheduling exists as an option in new observation page. However it is buggy and sometimes returns observations that doesn’t make sense (zero-duration or very short <2m).

As this is going to be fixed soon there is a debate on allowing or not overlapped observation to show up in group scheduling. I have added a poll at the bottom please vote and let us know what you think about it.

Overlapped Observation is when part of the observation is on the same time with an already scheduled one.

Let me explain the options:

• With Overlaps that are over a minimum percentage
    This means that overlapping observations with overlapping percentage above a minimum one will be included (if you select this please define with a comment your ideal minimum percentage)
  • With Overlaps that are over a minimum duration
    This means that overlapping observations with duration above a minimum one will be included (if you select this please define with a comment your ideal minimum duration)
  • Without Overlaps
    This means that overlapping observations will not be included at group scheduling at all.

Two quick notes about the third option:

1. The ability to schedule an overlapped observation will exist from the ground station page.
  2. During the group scheduling we will be able to show how many overlapped observations and on which stations have been omitted.
  • With Overlaps that are over a minimum percentage
  • With Overlaps that are over a minimum duration
  • Without Overlaps

0 voters

2 Likes

My selection was without overlaps.

I think that rarely there is a need for scheduling an overlapped observation. Given also that the network grows, I think that this need will be rarer.

However as I noted on the post with the poll, in case we need that overlapped observation then there will be a way to know about it and schedule it through the station page.

Also in case of an emergency we can always delete the scheduled one and replace it with the overlapped.

I agree with you @fredy that in this group scheduling mode it is best to avoid overlaps.

My selection was without overlaps also. I believe it will be easier and quicker this way to be able to handle multiple stations in observing.
Since the option will be available in the ground station page it will be easy to do it manually.

I said the one with over lap above X percentage. Now we could have a min and a drop down so people can get there own mins (like exclude all overlap by min as 0%)