My station stopped giving results

I had my station working reasonably well on a Raspberry Pi Zero.
When the new RPi 3B+ arrived I transferred the working SIM card to the new Pi and hit Go
It all looks good but when the Observation is over I get a list of Observations to vett but
There is no waterfall or audio icon and when I open the Observation I get Status Unknown,
Waiting for waterfall, waiting for audio, waiting for data.
All my settings are still there as before but I can’t work out what’s wrong.
Do I need to set this up as a new station with a new API and ID? The old station will not
come back into play it’s going to drive my Satellite antenna tracker.
I don’t even know how to diagnose this to post some status/error codes for the gurus to
be able to help me. I need a push in the right direction please.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to this SOS.
73 Bob vk2byf

If you created a new station in network then you need to change the ID in satnogs-setup, don’t forget to hit apply after the change. API is per user, so it is the same for all the stations that users owns.

If id it’s not the case, then you need to check the logs by running journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service, -f is for live updating, you can omitted in order to see only the past logs.

Also check if there are any data in /tmp/.satnogs/data by running ls -la /tmp/.satnogs/data

Let us know of your results.

fredy> If you created a new station in network then you need to change the ID in satnogs-setup, don’t forget to hit apply after the change. API is per user, so it is the same for all the stations that users owns.

Ok thanks, I did not create a new station, so this is not the case here.

fredy> If id it’s not the case, then you need to check the logs by running journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service , -f is for live updating, you can omitted in order to see only the past logs.

Ok this works but it may as well be in Chinese. The last entry says" something about apscheduler next job etc. executed successfully. Unfortunately I cannot cut & paste from a Putty terminal.

So this is working?

fredy> Also check if there are any data in /tmp/.satnogs/data by running ls -la /tmp/.satnogs/data

Ok This is what I got by running `~$ ls -la /tmp/.satnogs/data

drwxr-xr-x 4 stanogs satnogs 80 Apr 13 21:19 .
drwxrwxrwt 3 root root 80 Apr 14 00:00 …
drwxr-xr-x 8 160 Apr 13 21:19 files
drwxr-xr-x 2 40 Apr 13 21:19 incomplete

I have tried the obvious, new power-supply, different rtl-sdr. The same antenna LNA feeds a SDRplay/SDRuno setup with good results.

Might be time to burn a new image and start again?
Thanks for your time to help me. 73 Bob vk2byf

I connected to my system on port:5000

Does this help? The latest entry.

• 10:56:41[INFO]: Adding new job: 592758
  • 10:56:41[DEBUG]: Observation obj: {u’baud’: None, ‘origin’: ‘network’, u’transmitter’: u’HzG7GJEdAUZ4aYbHBUWyad’, u’end’: u’2019-04-14T01:26:21Z’, u’tle2’: u’2 41466 97.2076 7.8327 0008239 356.5778 90.2267 15.41669245165814’, u’tle1’: u’1 41466U 16026C 19103.49668846 .00008911 00000-0 21312-3 0 9992’, u’tle0’: u’SAMSAT-218D’, u’start’: u’2019-04-14T01:23:16Z’, u’frequency’: 145870000, u’mode’: u’CW’, u’id’: 592758, u’ground_station’: 568}
  • 10:57:49[INFO]: Status view initiated
  • 10:57:49[INFO]: Received mode change: {“custom_cmd”:{“mode”:“network”}}

The logs from port:5000 seems to be fine.

There are no files in /tmp/.satnogs/data, which means that observation tasks didn’t create any artifact (audio or waterfall) which means that the task stopped by an error.

Please try these instructions for copy/paste from putty (needs only the mouse) and send here any error you find after running journalctl -f -u satnogs-client.service.

The best way is to connect and run journalctl command near the start of a scheduled job, this way you are going to see the error at the start time of the observation.

fredy >these instructions for copy/paste from putty

I’m running Linux Mint. I frequently cut and paste text to and from a Linux terminal and it works in the normal way but not with Putty. I can select the text but it does not copy anything when I let go.

Problem solved.
I burned a new image for the RPi3B+
Made a new micro USB power cable with a bit more copper in it.
Set the Voltage regulator to 5.1V
Ran satnog-setup. RF gain=8.7 No BB or IF gain as I have a masthead LNA4ALL

Thank you all for your input. 73 Bob vk2byf

2 Likes