Meteor-M N2 LRPT 2 frequency

Hi,

I have seen various info on the web suggesting that the Meteor-M N2 LRPT 2 frequency is 137.900 MHz and not 137.925 MHz. This is confirmed by the waterfall capture I made earlier today, where TCA occurs at 20:40:08.

I made the suggestion to the DB and using this post as reference.

Also, LRPT 1 is currently switched OFF. Does it qualify it to be “not alive”?

1 Like

Added. thanks!

Do you know if this is going to be a permanent thing? I can set alive=false for now.

Probably not. AFAIK the reason for 137.1 being OFF right now is that Meteor-M N1 came alive again some time ago and is transmitting occasionally on 137.1.

It is quite crowded in the 137 MHz band and it is not unusual that they switch transmitters on and off or change the frequencies if they can. It has also happened to NOAA satellites. So I guess the question is whether alive means “functional” or “in use”…

yes, that’s debatable. I believe historically we have gone with the ‘functional’ definition. I think ‘in use’ is going to be harder to track accurately without a larger force of contributors.

Take the ISS 440 transmitter, its functional but rarely in use. (ditto SSTV, etc…) So, it would be nice to also track when it is in use but in the meantime maybe it is good enough to track what is ‘working’ vs ‘known broken’.

thoughts?

/cc @pierros @comzeradd

Yes, I agree. “Functional” is closer to the intentions of this flag. It would be really hard to track if a transmitter is currently in use.

Sounds reasonable to use the meaning “functional”.

Whether a given transmitter is in use or not could also be generated on the fly using observation data from the database, for example something like the AMSAT status page.

1 Like

+1 on functional use vs in-use right now. In the future we might consider something like a schedule or pattern documentation for satellites we have extended info or are willing to provide this. This way we can come closer to the in-use information.